"KITCHEN" - New Restaurant Opening on Ecclesall Rd

Sorry to be cynical, but any chance you have opened as a 'bistro' next to what is Sheffields most popular new restaurant, also with bistro in its name? (As a regular diner I know it is very busy)

Bread £4? Vegetables and Potatoes £2? Clearly nobody is going to eat a main course minus vegetables or salad or starch, why not just build it in to the price, instead of making it an extra?

Unless you can beat it on its special offers and food quality, you may well be facing an uphill struggle.

3 courses = £19 + bread £4 + veg £2 = £25 (+coffee?)

And you have a bistro 200 yards away, on a Tuesday doing six courses for £19.90.......2 courses for £12.........2 courses and full bottle of wine each £20...

I may give it a try just to see as I live close by, but good luck.

Sad times when someone thinks that a chain restaurant is Sheffield's most popular new restaurant. Is this all we have to offer?

Sad times when someone thinks that a chain restaurant is Sheffield's most popular new restaurant. Is this all we have to offer?

Definitions of popular......

Suited to or intended for the general masses of people

Regarded with favor, approval, or affection by people in general

Suited to the means of ordinary people; not expensive.

The fact it is a chain really doesn't matter. It is hardly Macdonalds, there is 6 not 31,000!

The menu sounds original, fantastic, and I know the food will be top notch. The prices are also very good for and I'll be giving it a try.

Good luck.

It looks good but 9pm is early for last orders isn't it? Have you not applied for a later opening?

9.30 at the weekends (fri/sat) . it is a residential neighbourhood too.

I think you need to register to see the pictures

Edited by ajww4764
added text

Went to Kitchen last night & had a fantastic meal. Food was great quality, good portion sizes (I was too full for a pudding which is very unusual!!) and I also thought the wine was very reasonably priced. Service was very good & overall it was a very positive experience. Will definitely be going back!!

Our New Menu:

MENU

SOUP OF THE DAY, FRESH BREAD £4

ONION AND ROAST GARLIC TART, TOASTED GOAT’S CHEESE £5

BUTTER FRIED SAGE GNOCCHI, SQUASH VELOUTTEE, GORGONZOLA £5/ £8

CHICKEN LIVER PARFAIT, HOCK JELLY, PLUM RELISH, TOAST £5

PLAICE GOUJONS, SAUCE GREBICHE, ROCKET £6

SALMON FISHCAKE, POACHED EGG, HOLLANDAISE £6

BAKED HAM AND EGGS, MUSTARD SAUCE £6

CHICKEN TERRINE, PICALILLY, GRANARY TOAST £6

KITCHEN PRAWN COCKTAIL £6

EGGS WASHINGTON £6

FIELD MUSHROOMS, ROAST GARLIC AND SAGE MAYO £5

VEAL MEAT BALL SANDWICH, PICKLES, PARMESAN £7

RARE RIBSTEAK SARNI, CELERIAC REMOULADE, TOMATO, CRISP ONIONS £9

(LUNCHTIME ONLY)

FREE RANGE PORK SAUSAGE, CRISP ONIONS, WHITE BEAN CASSOULET £7

CONFIT GARLIC RISOTTO, STUFFED FIELD MUSHROOMS, TRUFFLE OIL £7

ROTOLLA OF ROASTED ONION, CABBAGE, VIGNOTTE, APPLE PUREE, BROTH £7

CHICKEN, HAM, LEAK AND TARRAGON PUDDING £7

CORNED BEEF HASH, FRIED DUCK EGG, BROWN BUTTER, CHIPS £9

DIXIE’S 3 LITTLE PIGS £12

TOTALLY FREE RANGE POG LANE CHICKEN, WITH ITS OWN CONFIT, BREAD SAUCE, PAN JUICE £10

MIXED GRILL OF FISH, MUSHROOM DUXELLE, TOMATO BUTTER SAUCE £15

RACK OF LAMB, BREAST OF LAMB, ROASTED TOMATO, GRAVY, GARLIC AND ROSEMARY VINEGARETTE £15

SEARED RIB OF BEEF, BRAISED BEEF CHEEK, CREAMED HORSERADISH, COOKING JUICES £16

BAKEWELL TART £4

WHIT CHOCOLATE AND PECAN BROWNIE £4

CRÈME BRULÉE, SEASONAL BERRIES £4

STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING, TOFFEE SAUCE £4

SELECTION OF CHEESE AND CHUTNEYS £2 EACH

KITCHEN BREAD BOARD £4 BREAD £2 POTATOES AND VEGETABLES £2 SALAD £1

Hi, nice menu but I'm surprised to see no mention of wine, considering.

Are you licensed? If so, what's your pricing policy? Retail would be very attractive.

I've now been to the long awaited Kitchen bistro and here are my thoughts.

First impressions are good as the decor is warm and very bistro style.

The waiter came up and asked us for drinks and gave us the menu. He failed to mention what the soup was or later didn't volunteer any information about any dishes that may be worth a try or could be recommended (maybe this is just due to the newness of the bistro).

We ordered the bread to keep us going (I agree it would be nice if this was given automatically as is in many places) but I have to say, the different breads were super and are worth a try. Disappointingly, they don't have side plates so be prepared for crumbs and how you spread butter without a plate is tricky!

Next, I decided to have sole goujons but fancied the hand cut chips instead of the potatoes but was told that this was not possible!!! it wasn't that they didn't have chips, as my husband had them with his corned beef hash! It was just that with this dish I couldn't have them. Similarly another customer requested some chips with his smoked salmon as a side order but was flatly told that this was not possible!! I can't understand this at all! Is this rigidity really necessary? I'm not sure I really like being told what I can have with my meal!

The food, I have to say lives up to the expectations I had and John (chef) is certainly keeping up with his already marvelous standing from the tasting evenings from ffw. The portion sizes are good and its hard to find space for a dessert after two courses. Coffee is good and the variety offered is great.

The setting of the menu I feel could be divided up better with perhaps a more clear demarkation of lunch and dinner options. I realise that the bistro also provides child high chairs but am not quite sure what is on offer for younger customers and certainly the menu does not mention anywhere the options for children or the pricing for their meals.

New food places are always welcome and Kitchen hopefully will add more variety to our limited range of eateries available. Maybe they may think about offering lunchtime and early bird specials as well as set lunch/dinner menus. I wish them all the luck.