Tram strike coming?

you never see a friendly tram driver, let alone hear them say hello, they just sit in their cab on their own all day. :rant:

Sounds like my kind of job. As long as I could leer back at the passengers through the window and flick "V" signs at them.

I don't think you'd be over the moon if your job included pressing 1 of 3 buttons

Can't they simplify it to just 1 button?

Don't want to be a tram driver now. :(

if the conducters on the tram were more efficient supertam would make a lot more money,there are many people who travel free because the conducters dont make the effort to get down the tram when its full.

They seem to have improved a lot on that recently. On many peak time services I've used, there's been two conductors and a huge increase in the number of times I've had my ticket inspected.

Seemingly they are looking for parity with the drivers on the metrolink system in Manchester. Not a valid comparison though as that system is well thought out, well used, and very busy. A better bet would be to just look at the loading figures on the Sheffield system and look for a rise in line with the claimed increased use of it.

There's stuff on the Star site about it now http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Winter-of-Discontent-Supertram-workers.5685882.jp

I have to say the quote attributed to a supertram worker (below) makes me angry:

"The dispute has happened due to Stagecoach's refusal to offer us any pay rise at all. There is unhappiness among the workforce because staff in other parts of the group, such as its rail franchises, have been offered an increase. It doesn't seem fair."

Sorry lads, but there's folk out there with year+ long pay freezes, 4 day weeks, 20% pay cuts, being asked to work in other parts of the country etc and the best justification they can come up with for inconveniencing thousands of people is that someone in an unconnected part of the company has had a pay rise? Even if they felt/could demonstrate they deserved a pay rise, the negotiating table is the place for that. Not just spitting their dummies out and ruining other hard-working people's ability to get to the job they may only just be being able to hang on to at the moment.

I have just been informed that in a ballot, the staf at "super" tram have voted in favour of industrial action. No decision has been made as to the nature of the action, it could range from an overtime ban to an all out strike.

does this include old rhino buttocks as well?

I can't believe what a lot of trolls there are on here. The trams are great compared with buses. In fact having come from the smoke down sarf, I can tell you they are much nicer, quieter, more hygenic and safer than the underground. We live at one of the termini and the tram is never late in the morning, and rarely late on the way home. Stagecoach need to give their staff a fair wage, but lets face it, at least they've got a job. The point is, when are they striking? I need to make sure I've polished my walking boots as I'm not going on the buses!