Charity Unleashed - Sheffield

Ring them and ask them or do some research. Then you can be in posession of all the facts and post accurate responses instead of using unsubstantiated figures and coming to factless conclusions.

Actually my figures are very accurate. Charity gets 30% (taken from their site), business owners on here have said they have got around 1-5%. That leaves 65% for the owners.

It states on the site that 65K was given to charity. My calculations make that it be 140K to the owners of charity unleashed. Not bad work for a 'charity' project.

The facts are simple.

You cannot have 'charity' in the trading name of a business if you are not a charity.

It is a private business, limited company (maybe you are one of the Directors?).

I have said before many times it is a great idea and giving to charity is great BUT by using the word charity in the title of the business it implies that the organisation is a charity itself or a vast amount of profits are going to charity. 30% is not a vast amount.

where do I get the new book from?

Actually my figures are very accurate. Charity gets 30% (taken from their site), business owners on here have said they have got around 1-5%. That leaves 65% for the owners.

It states on the site that 65K was given to charity. My calculations make that it be 140K to the owners of charity unleashed. Not bad work for a 'charity' project.

The website actually says 30% of revenue goes to the charities, not 30% of profit. So out of the company's 65%, they will have to pay for printing, distribution, marketing, sales staff to persuade companies to be involved, designers etc.

So they may get £140k but I would guess a significant proportion of that is not theirs to keep.

The thing is, people don't buy this book because they want to donate £50 to charity, they buy it for the offers. I would guess that, even without the charity donation, the 1,000 copies would still sell out.

The facts are simple.

You cannot have 'charity' in the trading name of a business if you are not a charity.

It is a private business, limited company (maybe you are one of the Directors?).

I have said before many times it is a great idea and giving to charity is great BUT by using the word charity in the title of the business it implies that the organisation is a charity itself or a vast amount of profits are going to charity. 30% is not a vast amount.

What's the business name??

The facts are simple.

Just to clarify, do you work with the business (the one which prints, sells books etc), or any of the relevant charities? Just to help clarify a previous post, that is all.

The facts are simple.

Also, given what you have said, why is the publication called 'Charity Unleashed' then?

Yes, the aims are 'charitable', but to use the word 'charity' anywhere implies something completely different to the reality - which is that this is business which makes money out of kind 'charitable' donations.

I don't mean that in any offensive way, but that is, essentially, how they make their money. It's a matter of fact rather than an insult.

Just to clarify, do you work with the business (the one which prints, sells books etc), or any of the relevant charities? Just to help clarify a previous post, that is all.

I have nothing to do with any of the businesses.

Also, given what you have said, why is the publication called 'Charity Unleashed' then?

Yes, the aims are 'charitable', but to use the word 'charity' anywhere implies something completely different to the reality - which is that this is business which makes money out of kind 'charitable' donations.

I don't mean that in any offensive way, but that is, essentially, how they make their money. It's a matter of fact rather than an insult.

The company is registered as 'Cities Unleashed'. They trade as 'Charity Unleashed'.

Companies House will not let a business use the word Charity in their trading name. The Charity Commission states that you cannot use Charity in your name unless you are a charity or have a very good excuse to do so.

If they had been 'Sheffield Unleashed' in support of ......., then there would be no problem. You can support a charity as a business but not be one.

The company is registered as 'Cities Unleashed'. They trade as 'Charity Unleashed'.

Companies House will not let a business use the word Charity in their trading name. The Charity Commission states that you cannot use Charity in your name unless you are a charity or have a very good excuse to do so.

If they had been 'Sheffield Unleashed' in support of ......., then there would be no problem. You can support a charity as a business but not be one.

I totally agree with everything you've said about this. It drives me bonkers every time I read about them breaking down the financials as if they aren't an actual commercial company: "we pay XX to so and so, XXX to someone else...oh, and we have to pay out for advertising and printing and stuff... THEN we pay ourselves a wage.." Err - yes - just like ANY other blimmin company!! I swear to god, if they thought could get away with saying they pay themselves a "modest" wage they would...

I have absolutely no problem with this business making money the way they do (I bought the last book but left it too late for some of the offers - c'est la vie), I just find it all a bit disingenuous if I'm honest...and like you've said, call it "Sheffield Uleashed Supports.." or something...

Further to this, the Charity Commissioners explicitly state:

"Companies using the word 'charity' or 'charitable' in their title

34. If a company wants to use the words 'charity', 'charitable', 'charities', 'charity's' or 'charities' in its title or any compound word which includes these, it requires approval from the Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform before a Certificate of Incorporation can be issued. Prior to giving approval, Companies House will need to see a letter from us confirming whether or not we have an objection to the use of these words in that organisation's title. If your company wishes to use one of these words in its name you should make a formal request to us and at the same time apply for registration. We will then consider both requests at the same time."

It is a little surprising that Cities Unleashed (Company No. 06893281) don't state their company name or number on the website and really do appear to be trading as Charity Unleashed. Even the copyright to the website mentions only Charity Unleashed! This name is not registered at Companies House. Both Companies House and the Charity Commission would probably take an interest in this situation.

I totally agree with everything you've said about this. It drives me bonkers every time I read about them breaking down the financials as if they aren't an actual commercial company: "we pay XX to so and so, XXX to someone else...oh, and we have to pay out for advertising and printing and stuff... THEN we pay ourselves a wage.." Err - yes - just like ANY other blimmin company!! I swear to god, if they thought could get away with saying they pay themselves a "modest" wage they would...

I have absolutely no problem with this business making money the way they do (I bought the last book but left it too late for some of the offers - c'est la vie), I just find it all a bit disingenuous if I'm honest...and like you've said, call it "Sheffield Uleashed Supports.." or something...

Eseentially, this business is trying to make profit out of the publics' kindness as far as I see it... Or their greed, I suppose - as they're using the vouchers for themselves.

I don't know. It just doesn't sit right with me.

Eseentially, this business is trying to make profit out of the publics' kindness as far as I see it... Or their greed, I suppose - as they're using the vouchers for themselves.

I don't know. It just doesn't sit right with me.

They are in the advertising business. This is a way of getting people to spend £50 on a book of adverts for local companies. I would suggest that simply donating £20 directly to Weston Park etc is a better form of charity.