MA styles in the early UFC?

remember people ninjitsu won ufc 3.....

ninjas rule

An alternate who entered straight into the final because Gracie and Shamrock were both injured.

Totally legitimate win, yep :P

thats how ninjas fight..... they come out of nowhere and destroy everything.... ninja style

All true but IIRC Gracie had been 'softening' him up with some work on his hand/thumb before he got the choke on ..... Gordeau didn't like that attention ..... leaving him open to the choke

I read this and it made me watch the fight again, you're right he did touch his thumb, after he clinched with him took him down, mounted him, rolled him over and tried to choke him that is. If you watch the fight though it's Gordeau who blocks the first choke attempt with his bandaged thumb causing Royce to swap hands and choke him with the other so I'm not sure the softening up argument holds water as he had hold of it for about 2 seconds and it's Gordeau who's doing the holding. Watched the Nakai fight again as well, Gordeau really was a horrible ****

I read this and it made me watch the fight again, you're right he did touch his thumb, after he clinched with him took him down, mounted him, rolled him over and tried to choke him that is. If you watch the fight though it's Gordeau who blocks the first choke attempt with his bandaged thumb causing Royce to swap hands and choke him with the other so I'm not sure the softening up argument holds water as he had hold of it for about 2 seconds and it's Gordeau who's doing the holding. Watched the Nakai fight again as well, Gordeau really was a horrible ****

My memory isn't what it used to be I guess .....

Can anyone find footage of an early UFC when a big Kyoku guy was matched against a little Monkey Fist stylist (I think) and ended up taking him out with a reverse elbow?

that would be remco pardoel (9-6-1) he moved on to fight royce and lost but was just happy to get the chance...... nice guy

the little guy was orlando wiet (impresive record of 1-4)

Can anyone find footage of an early UFC when a big Kyoku guy was matched against a little Monkey Fist stylist (I think) and ended up taking him out with a reverse elbow?

Pardoel vs Wiet

It was actually a big dutch judo guy KO'ing the middleweight kickboxer Orlando Wiet (72kg) on the floor with an elbow.

That was before weight divisions.

I'd like to have seen a member of the SAS on the early UFCs.

I reckon the SAS man would have bitten someones wind pipe out before his UFC opponent had any chance to tap

This brings back memories for me too so I will have to look at the originals 1 & 2 cause i've got them somewhere. The commentators were wrong about a few things thinking, (oh the arm is broken) when it wasn't cause they wasn't too cluded up on what exactly was going on especially the NFL player if i remember quite rightly, but i did'nt know any different at the time until you look back at the fighter was ok. We all were on the edges of our seats though.

So how did the NFL player do? Was he even a martial artist?