Looking back are you glad the eggbox went?

Are you glad the eggbox went  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Are you glad the eggbox went

• No, one have never quite recovered, i miss them terribly
    • They were rather jolly and brightened up ones day
    • Were'nt bad but one would rather have the area in its current state
    • I thought they were an eyesore, and one misses them like tooth ache

You either loved it or hated it but now gone what do you think?:heyhey:

I used to love them for some reason, the peace gardens now are nothing in comparison

I thought I was happy to see it go. Until I went into town last week and saw what was there instead.

Might as well not have bothered in removing it.

As I have commented elsewhere and in great detail too, I believe our out-moded, negative, backward looking and shambolic city council planners have surpassed even their incredibly low levels by knocking down one of the worst buildings ever to grace our cityscape only to replace it with something even worse.

You must admit, that takes some doing!

I hope that all Sheffield City Council correspondence (letterheads for example) comes with a photograph of Number 1 St. Paul's. That'll guarantee new business and enterprise comes to Sheffield, NOT!

So, IMHO, they got it super wrong first time; they've got it even more wrong this time round.

If Jan Wilson's window overlooks St. Paul's, then I can only presume one of her representatives will be given orders to go out and buy some curtains in the very near future.

The Egg Box!

It may have been an idea to let Coles have it and swap the council staff into Cole Bros.

Coles wanted a bigger shop and the egg box would have given them that, with a car park and a cafe on the top floor. The egg box cladding could have been removed and replaced with something more sympathetic - perhaps even public walkways with draping greenery - a sort of visual extension to the Peace Gardens. Siting Coles here would have helped to link the Moor and Fargate shopping without the current gap.

In return, the council could have had Coles' shop - the smaller building they were looking for, still with a car park. The council's services would still then be in the central area without the hideous expense of renting that developers' dream, Howden House.

And yes I did suggest this to the council before all the demolition began but I got the impression that egos and empire building were more important than common sense.

It did lookcrap didn't it - especially with those moustache like dark stains on every panel. And yes, what's going up is worse, a backward leap to the 1960's architecture we all used to hate.

I remember going up onto the roof of the Egg Box 25 years ago and being suprised to find a lawn up there! I haven't seen what has replaced the building. What is there now? Could someone tell me when it was first built. Kevin Taylor, Kent.

What Is The Eggbox? I've Been Away From Sheffield For 39 Years, Don't Know Of It.

Has anyone a photo of the Eggbox- I'm intrigued- what was it?

The Egg Box!

It may have been an idea to let Coles have it and swap the council staff into Cole Bros.

Coles wanted a bigger shop and the egg box would have given them that, with a car park and a cafe on the top floor. The egg box cladding could have been removed and replaced with something more sympathetic - perhaps even public walkways with draping greenery - a sort of visual extension to the Peace Gardens. Siting Coles here would have helped to link the Moor and Fargate shopping without the current gap.

In return, the council could have had Coles' shop - the smaller building they were looking for, still with a car park. The council's services would still then be in the central area without the hideous expense of renting that developers' dream, Howden House.

And yes I did suggest this to the council before all the demolition began but I got the impression that egos and empire building were more important than common sense.

It did lookcrap didn't it - especially with those moustache like dark stains on every panel. And yes, what's going up is worse, a backward leap to the 1960's architecture we all used to hate.

There was a Coles corner in the new town hall in the 80ties

Has anyone a photo of the Eggbox- I'm intrigued- what was it?

Here you go: Before and after.

I always used to call it the New Town Hall, but I don't know if that was its official name.

we used to skateboard down by the 'walking man' statue underneath the eggboxs, ahhh thems were the days. still it was ugly as f**k, what they're puttin up looks the same as every other building nowerdays. wait for the sheffield-leeds merger.

I worked in the eggbox from its opening until 1983 when we were "de-centralized" and sent on to the estates. The sound of the airconditioning was omni-present, only going quiet when the fire alarms sounded, which was very regular, followed by a voice over the tannoy saying "Now Hear This, Now Hear This....This is a Fire Alarm"....was this his only job? Knowing the council, it probably was! We also had problems with small insects which bit the legs of the Benefits Officers, at least it made a change from being bitten by the general public.:hihi: I must admit to feeling sad at its demise, it was not perfect by a long way, but superior to the crap that stands there now. I can`t believe its gone, I can see it in my mind as clear as day, yet I had not set foot in the place since 1994 when I signed my "release forms", said goodbye and took my voluntary redundancy cheque.:thumbsup: