Dialing code for sheffield before 0114

kelibobs

Didn't an earlier post say that the Sheffield number was 0742, then had a 1 inserted making it 01742, then changed again to the current 0114?

Was Rotherham not therefore 0709 at some point before the 1 was inserted?

I guess you're correct that numbers were running low, so how does completely abandoning the old 01742 code and replacing it with 0114 free up any numbers?

has someone hacked your account?

Edited by saxondale

Didn't an earlier post say that the Sheffield number was 0742, then had a 1 inserted making it 01742, then changed again to the current 0114?

I guess you're correct that numbers were running low, so how does completely abandoning the old 01742 code and replacing it with 0114 free up any numbers?

BECAUSE. . . . . they went from a SIX digit number to a SEVEN digit number

so the old number may have been 0742 654321

the new number was 0114 2654321

enabling immediately numbers starting 20x xxxx to exist

and in due course (now) numbers starting 3xx xxxx

It would have created MILLIONS of extra numbers as local numbers went from 6 digits to 7!

All areas had a 1 added to their phone numbers...EXCEPT Sheffield, Leeds, Nottingham, Bristol and Leicester, who saw a COMPLETE CHANGE to their numbering structure.

I cannot believe you are not getting it! And yes, London has seen two recent changes in 1995 and 2000. Search on Wikipedia for "telephone numbers in the United Kingdom", it is surprisingly accurate.

Edited by Ginger Daddy

I think London changed twice - but I am prepared to be corrected.

London numbers have changed a lot. From 01, they were split into two parts - 071 and 081 - then they had the same "1" inserted as most other places, becoming 0171 and 0181, on phONEday. Since then, they changed to 0207 and 0208 as well.

So, just to be clear, in 1992 not only did the code change to 0114, but the digit 2 was inserted in front of existing numbers. That extra digit created lots of free numbers.

So, explain again why the code needed to change?

Was there something wrong with dialling

01742 2345678