WHy are there no drag bars in Sheffield

Carborundum

Thank you Lady Star - and I may add I would especially love to see a drag bar where all the punters were insulted by withering comments on their appearance or looks or something else about them as they entered the bar while a drag act was on - I think this would be VERY successful for the business ...

Really?! In these times, where there are hundreds of pubs closing every week, and those which are still open are struggling to get people in, you think it would be a good thing for a pub to be insulting the few customers who try the place as soon as they open the door?!

It'll work in a place with an established customer base and reputation, but it's never going to work somewhere new.

I used to work in a drag bar called Mystiques in Hanley - A town so much smaller than Sheffield and it was packed every night! We used to get pretty close to the knuckle there, it was a great venue to be a part of!!! Most of the punters were straight men, and they weren't adverse to getting on the stage with us for a bit of 'adult humour'... I don't see why Sheffield bar goers wouldn't visit a drag bar as regularly as the lads in Stoke did...

Oh, and I'm not about to get into the spandex again any time soon, so not plugging myself as a tired old drag queen!!!

Lady Star is quite right in a way; there ARE smaller places than Sheffield which have a very good drag entertainment venue; normally the drag show is only one or two nights a week. Chesterfield, for instance has always had a very good 'Gay Night' every Wednesday, (Currently at Nickels Bar, Centro, and Escapade) when few 'straight' venues are open, and one or two of the bars/clubs may have drag queens, and occasionally even a bit of cabaret, although most of the drag is just 'meet and greet' hosting at the moment...

A few years ago, ROTHERHAM had a drag cabaret bar, Diamonds, but it eventually shut on account of financial problems, nevertheless while it lasted, it was a mainstay of the local entertainment scene.

The important thing to remember is that a good drag bar, in order to succeed, has to hit the magic formula in appealing to not only many of the gay scene, but also to a majority 'straight' (read 'Mainstream') audience; for example a lot of the business at Diamonds in Rotherham would have been steelworkers' stag and hen-parties type crowd; there is, or rather was, a great Working-Class following for 'drag' which has increasingly taken a battering as traditional industries decline and pubs and WMC's close, while the recently emerged Gay club/bar industry has mopped up most of the drag talent including circuit entertainers, but itself has now felt the cold wind of recession...:love:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I agree - a good drag bar should entice in the general public, however it should also be gay friendly - would anyone be interested in a venture to set up a drag bar in Sheffield? Then we could have non-stop drag seven nights of the week if we could get the performers - and there are a few talented ones in Sheffield ;-)

~oO*YAWN*Oo~

Indeed. :rolleyes:

Carborundum, no-one will invest in a drag bar in Sheffield - because it's simply not commercially viable.

If you do find someone willing to throw away invest their cash in a full time drag bar in Sheffield, then not only will I publicly apologise to you unreservedly, I'll bare my arse in Tesco's window.

You have my word - and you have it in writing.

Indeed. :rolleyes:

Carborundum, no-one will invest in a drag bar in Sheffield - because it's simply not commercially viable.

If you do find someone willing to throw away invest their cash in a full time drag bar in Sheffield, then not only will I publicly apologise to you unreservedly, I'll bare my arse in Tesco's window.

You have my word - and you have it in writing.

If you hold off on doing the arse bit until 6 months after the place has opened you'll probably catch the investor dropping his CV in...

Why would a drag bar not be "gay friendly"????

Thats like saying a fruit shop should be "health friendly" - surely it's a given?

You really should give up on this little dream of yours, and concentrate on the more important things in life.

If drag bars are THAT important to you, why don't you open one yourself?

Why would a drag bar not be "gay friendly"????

Thats like saying a fruit shop should be "health friendly" - surely it's a given?

You really should give up on this little dream of yours, and concentrate on the more important things in life.

If drag bars are THAT important to you, why don't you open one yourself?

Some very good points in your post, but we are all wasting our time trying to tell the OP, as he won`t listen.

If there was a market for drag queens 7 nights a week, then I am sure the existing gay venues would have done this by now, the fact they haven`t means there is no market.

Why doesnt the OP open one is the only way it is going to happen, and I would guess it will fail drastically due to the fact the OP will only employ Tyranna and thats why it will fail.

I guess I'm not in the business of opening bars but if I was then yes I would employ Tyranna why not she is highly entertaining - she could be the "continuity link "drag queen while hosting various local and visiting foreign i.e. outside Sheffield drag queens from time to time - I am sure there would be a great market for it ...