Sheffield Forum Mac Users

I changed from windows machine to macbookpro last Dec - what improvement in every way !

it's taken me a while to adjust.

only prog I miss is Irfanview.

I bought just to early to qualify for free upgrade for ilife 09, any idea when price will drop?

the bluetooth mouse is great, just need to set it up.

I've not ordered snow leopard yet, look forward to hearing comments from you guys.

Its unlikely the price of ilife will drop significantly - but its only 59.99 - you can probably find it for less online

only prog I miss is Irfanview.

i love that program - really wish it existed on Mac. There is GraphicConverter for OSX which is good but it's just not the same. Mind you, I always forget how much OSX's own Preview app has improved over time - it does a lot of useful things now.

I bought just to early to qualify for free upgrade for ilife 09, any idea when price will drop?

It won't. Never does. Only hope for a lower price is a 3rd party store... or get a used copy from ebay or wherever. Or wait for iLife '10. :)

XnView is another excellent freeware bitmap viewer for Windows, not sure if it's on Mac though?

EDIT: Ah! Seems there is a version in development for OS.X.

anyone tried installing snow leopard over tiger?

I'm trying to persuade daughter now is a good time to update,and back up with Time machine.

she's been having a lot of over-heating problems with her macbookpro and not found the genius bar much use.

If you're still on Tiger there is good news here in this review

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20090826/apple-changes-leopards-spots/

"Apple is officially making Snow Leopard available only in a “boxed set” that includes other software and costs $169. The reasoning is that these folks never paid the $129 back in 2007 to upgrade to Leopard. But here’s a tip: Apple concedes that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade will work properly on these Tiger-equipped Macs, so you can save the extra $140."

XnView is another excellent freeware bitmap viewer for Windows, not sure if it's on Mac though?

EDIT: Ah! Seems there is a version in development for OS.X.

Haven't checked for a while but there's been no "development" on the OSX version for a long time...

I changed from a Windows machine to MacBook Pro last Dec... ...it's taken me a while to adjust.

This may help.

Adding to the chorus... It won't until iLife 10 comes out - whenever that may be - and then you'll have to scrabble around for a copy as retailers try to get rid of old stock.

thanks for the tips - much appreciated !

ilife 09:I only iphoto regularly, so may hang on for new version

Updated from Leopard 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard 10.6 on a cloned copy of my system drive, update was very simple and took about 33 minutes, although SL initially indicated the update would take 46 minutes.

Only issue I encountered was after the last restart booting into Snow Leopard for the first time, my machine got stuck at the initial grey screen. Left it for a couple of minutes, no sign of life so I pressed the power button. Immediately machine shutdown, I restarted it and I was within seconds at the logon screen.

Logged in with my regular user account, looks very much like Leopard as you would imagine.

First impressinon SL seems nippier than Leopard, certainly Finder, Safari and Aperture appear to react a noticeable amount quicker to user input.

CS3 apps appear to work as before without any sign of problems.

Office 2008 for Mac seems OK at first looks.

GLIMS a Safari addon doesn't work, neither does Onyx, a system maintenance tool.

All in all a worthy upgrade for anyone using an Intel powered Mac