Golly - Flood Prevention Has Commenced at Malin Bridge

title: are we still allowed to say the word GOLLY??? only asking

I think that the Environment Agency were pushed into doing the work now by the land slip into the river which was caused by a tree collapsing from the bank just by the fire station a couple of months ago. An awful lot of debris ended up in the water which would have diverted the flow of the river away from its normal course at the next heavy rains if they didn't get in there and move all the debris.
They can't win, remove the trees and earth washes away, leave the trees and they 'may' collapse. I understand the normal procedure to prevent land slides is to leave trees to let roots maintain banks.
title: are we still allowed to say the word GOLLY??? only asking
We are though we can't put three question marks in a row to symbolise our surprise.

They can't win, remove the trees and earth washes away, leave the trees and they 'may' collapse. I understand the normal procedure to prevent land slides is to leave trees to let roots maintain banks.We are though we can't put three question marks in a row to symbolise our surprise.

where the trees have been removed from the hillsborough side of the bridge there isn't much of anything to erode, also there seems to be a substantial retaining wall which should prevent the wider area from being eroded.

It was ages ago when they did dimilar sounding clearance down the attercliffe/ 5 weirs walk end of the river valley. Again it looked quite brutal, there was something in the papers about 'self seeded trees' which they said had cuased little islands to develop as silt built up, these islands then attracted more self seeding and that contributed to blocking the flow and therefore flooding?

Well, all we knew was that many of the trees on the little 'islands' were about 60ft tall with trunks maybe a metre thick, so if they were self seeded they must have self seeded in maybe 1876 or thereabouts.

brutal yes, that's the word. I went and had a nosey today. My kids were almost in tears about where all the wee creatures would live.

brutal yes, that's the word. I went and had a nosey today. My kids were almost in tears about where all the wee creatures would live.

they are all living in the cellars of the neighbouring houses

funnily enough, thats what I told em! lol

Signs placed by the road side inform us that this is Flood Prevention!

Shame Langsett Road is going to be closed/restricted (again) to put right the "cheap workmanship" of the last round of rebuilding.

are we still allowed to say the word GOLLY???

Why shouldn't we use the word "golly"?

It's in the OED (only one entry):

golly1

· exclam. informal used to express surprise or delight.

who wants to bet that it goes up for sale soon...... watch out for the dozen or so luxury riverside apartments that are bound to get built.

:hihi:yeh think this is more like it :hihi:

Yeah I wondered why they had done that tbh & I grew up on Watersmeet Road and used to walk past all the time to catch the school bus etc... & it came as abit of a shock when I drove past the other week as I very rarely drive past that area now.

I see the River Rivelin where it meets The River Loxley at Malin Bridge is being cleaned up. Lots of trees being chopped down. It looks terrific. I wonder who is doing it ?

YOu've missed this discussion already, it's the environment agency, they've had boards up for weeks now ssaying what they are doing and why.