Whats missing from your past

about 45yrs ago there was a oneroomed bar above a shop (i think) just before you got to the "fiesta club) they had newcastle brown on draught, lovely it was, quite a posh place as i remember, somebody must recall its name:cool::cool::cool:

The Claymore (Arundel Gate) had two floors, ground and upstairs and did serve 'Newcastle Brown' draught. So did the Athol Hotel (Charles Street) but that closed in 1965. I think a pub at Norton -perhaps a free house-sold it too.

The Claymore (Arundel Gate) had two floors, ground and upstairs and did serve 'Newcastle Brown' draught. So did the Athol Hotel (Charles Street) but that closed in 1965. I think a pub at Norton -perhaps a free house-sold it too.

I remember The Ladybridge being the only place on earth where you could get Gold Label (barley wine) on draught. Reason being it was basically brewed on the premises. This was fine by me as I hated Trophy, but liked to drop by that pub from time to time. I did not drink it by the pint, I might add..lol

the thing i miss most is my youth and the memories off it, each harder to recall with each passing year. one minute they were there then gone like a puff of smoke :confused:

the thing i miss most is my youth and the memories off it, each harder to recall with each passing year. one minute they were there then gone like a puff of smoke :confused:

If you frequented the likes of Cossack (Howard Street) , Traveler's (bottom of the Moor) or the Barleycorn (Cambridge Street), then the last three words couldn't be any truer!

My childhood, and all the fun that went with it. This a direct answer to the leading question on the thread, not a reply to a poster, I should add.

---------- Post added 26-09-2015 at 23:31 ----------

picked the first( & if my memory is correct the only) 2nd 3rd 4th & 5th horse

s to finish the Grand National ,that would be the yr after Mr What won i think Wynbough or Oxo won had them permed correct on Littlewoods but didnt send them in .I seem to remember it payed around 5 million that yr(57-58?), So what am i missing A LIFE OF EASE

Oxo won in 1959 and Wynbergh finished second on 3 occasions including 1959 when Mr. What finished third ,Main reason I remember was I had a bob each way on Wynbergh all 3 times even though I was underage. Got My own back in the 70's when I backed Red Rum in all 5 Nationals he ran in, 3 wins and 2 seconds... Magic days, missing them a lot... lol

Edited by TORONTONY

After a heavy session in The Athol one evening on the Newcastle Brown with my reprobate drinking partners we decided to depart for pastures new up town!.I entered the revolving doors a tad too fast and unsteady resulting in a complete loss of direction on leaving the premises,my head spinning with me setting off in the wrong direction!.I blamed the doors of course it was nothing to do with the numerous quarts of Newcie Brown consumed in The Athol,thats my story and I,m sticking to it!.:roll::hihi:

If you frequented the likes of Cossack (Howard Street) , Traveler's (bottom of the Moor) or the Barleycorn (Cambridge Street), then the last three words couldn't be any truer!

Ha Ha Ha !... gotcha' there stpetre.... I think I know what you are on about.

Ha Ha Ha !... gotcha' there stpetre.... I think I know what you are on about.

Say no more, say no more (Shirley and Cleo), nudge, nudge, wink wink;);)

Yes, dripping cakes - and ha'penny ducks. They were delicious as long as you didn't think of what went into them. :P

7 day entertainment at the "Back Swan"