Any Jazz fans left in Sheffield?

Danny Moss was a featured soloist with a few British bands over a long period. I think he started out with Tommy Sampson. He certainly was with Ted Heath, and so it went. Very underrated in my view. I think he even worked with Tony Bennet for a while, after Bobby Hackett.

Just thought I'd let all you old jazz fans know, Vic Lewis passed away last Monday. Seems he'd had enough. I know a lot of us went to his concerts at the City Hall, his was one of the first bands I personally went to see there. He was 89.

Just thought I'd let all you old jazz fans know, Vic Lewis passed away last Monday. Seems he'd had enough. I know a lot of us went to his concerts at the City Hall, his was one of the first bands I personally went to see there. He was 89.

Started out with Jack Parnell in his early RAF days, it was always thrilling to see Vic at the 'City', I know Ronnie Chamberlain (Alto Sax) played with him before eventually going over to Ted Heath, I seem to remember Pete Coleman (Drums) and the girl singer with the band (?) were married. Vic Lewis who I think, eventually went into 'Artist Management' was mentioned in a number of American books due to his association with Stan Kenton and the like, he also had an early book out that I would have loved to have read but it's hard to find now. Another jazz great, Freddie Hubbard (Trumpet) passed away a few weeks ago, aged 70.

Edited by fleetwood

Sad to here of the passing of Vic Lewis.

The first 78 record I bought was his rendition of Peanut Vendor.

I think I've still got it with a load of other old 78's in storage somewhere along with an autograph book..

I must sell them, because they weigh a ton.

Thanks for the memory.

Happy Days! PopT

Ron Mosforths band played at the punchbowl on Gleadless Common. He played trumpet & his Chimes Blues was brilliant. I went to Greystones School with him & he must be in his mid 70's now.

Anybody remember a guy called Bruce Askew, who ran a jazz club in Sheffield in the early 1960s? For a brief spell he worked at Newton Chambers.

On a recent holiday in Cuba there was a violin /guitar due entertaining in one of the restaurants.

I got talking to the violin guy. I said I would send him a CD of Grappelli and Menuhin.

I copied them ,and to my surprise Ronnie Verrell (sp) was on some of the tracks

I for one would be very interested in your opinions on the current music scene in Cuba sweetdexter. Indeed anything relating to Cuba is interesting. I'm drinking a glass of Havana Club at this very moment.

Edited by Texas

I suppose you've all heard of the demise of Louis Bellson, never any good news is there?

Anyone remember the Climax Jazzmen who had a residency at The Cannon Hall at Firvale in the 1960's? I went regularly; starting going because a friend ( Harry Jarvis) played bass in it.

John

I suppose you've all heard of the demise of Louis Bellson, never any good news is there?

Alas,the mould is forever broken when these artists pass away.

I was listening again to the recently departed Joe Stafford.

What a beautiful,beautiful voice she had ,and such control

I followed the Jazz Presevation Society for donkey years. Last time at Norfolk Arms,when I had a nasty accident returning home on the Friday night. The band had Roger Cobbold, Al Wyatt, Dutch Barnes, Ron Mosforth, Harry tindall, and little Fred Henderson and Dave Green on bass. As I lived for these sessions, as did dozens more, can anyone give me an update on them. I was particularly friendly with Roger as he very often gave me a lift home and he always obliged with Bourbon St. Saints go marching in etc. Marvellous personality. Would love any news. Thanks,