Old Street Names

Hillsbro Thanks for the 'Memory Rush'.

When I saw the list of shops on your list it brought back such memories.

I sold clothes for Ronnie Whyman at one time.

I can also remember watching Mrs Shulz stood facing the window carving the Pork up for the lunchtime pork sandwiches for the workers in the area.

She was a real artist with her carving knife. it was the best matinee' act in Attercliffe.

I'll not go on as I don't want to takeover this post.

What Happy Days. PopT

hi jewls goulder place was just after the broughton pub there were 3 shops browns later g burtoon butcher porters grocers and greens photographers i also remember it being a card shop called gay gaye cards no 340 338 336 sid smiths m/c shop on other corner if my memory serves me right sid smiths used to be davys bread/cakes and confectionery shop i think there were only about 12/16 houses on the place regards aj

sure there was a shp called peacocks or murdock the lady was nice just up from syds

Hillsbro Thanks for the 'Memory Rush'.

When I saw the list of shops on your list it brought back such memories.

I sold clothes for Ronnie Whyman at one time.

I can also remember watching Mrs Shulz stood facing the window carving the Pork up for the lunchtime pork sandwiches for the workers in the area.

She was a real artist with her carving knife. it was the best matinee' act in Attercliffe.

I'll not go on as I don't want to takeover this post.

What Happy Days. PopT

was there a post office next door to pork shop and the lady was always chatty in the pork shop

There seems to be quite a lot of interest in the shops in this area, and so here is a scan from the 1973 Kelly's Directory (compiled in 1972) showing both sides of the road. By this time the shops after Goulder Place up to the café at No 388 had evidently been demolished, or at least were empty: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Carbrookshops.jpg

my mum used to live above wistows fruit shop

Those buildings would be about ready, at that time, for demolition, as the Carltonville Rd/ Melville/ Ravensworth/ Campell Roads area (which were pretty much adjacent to Goulder Place) were cleared late 1973/ early 1974, as I had family in that area, who were moved out around that time for the clearances.

Calrtonville Road was fully inhabited in 1972 - any houses on Ravensworth Road and Campbell Road were "empty" and Melville Road had only the Carbrook Timber Company. One side of Clarefield Road was inhabited but most of the other side was empty, and so clearly the redevelopment was in full swing at that time. I remember playing football on the "rec." with a former school pal who lived on Bright Street, not far from Goulder Terrace - this would have been in 1967-68, not long before the houses came down.

Doing some family history tracing and found one of my relative lived on Goulder Terrace in Carbrook. I don't think the street still exists but does anyone know the vague location of the street now or what has been built on top of it?

Hi...when did your relatives live on Goulder Terrace if I may ask...cos my dad grew up on that road...no 4 he lived at...but I'm talking 1930s and early 40s here....

hi my grandad and great grandparents lived at number 4 Goulder Terrace from early 1940s to the early 1950s. My great grandad Jack McGarry was away in India and Burma for some of the time leaving behind my great grand mother Nellie and my granddad Derrick and his brother Douglas at that address. My great great Grandparents, George and Edith Lockwood lived just around the corner at 54 Carltonville Road. Your Dad must have been at Goulder Terrace just before my great grandparents moved in!

hi roxy04 sorry but i didnt know yourgreat grandparents but i lived in the same yard at 50carltonville rd as yourgreat great grand parents mr/mrs lockwood also son dennis from 1939/1960 dennis went to the same school as me but was a couple of years older than me regards aj

hi roxy04 sorry but i didnt know yourgreat grandparents but i lived in the same yard at 50carltonville rd as yourgreat great grand parents mr/mrs lockwood also son dennis from 1939/1960 dennis went to the same school as me but was a couple of years older than me regards aj

Hi Thanks for the reply. It is a small world:D not heard of dennis before though. was he George and Edith Lockwood's son?

hi my grandad and great grandparents lived at number 4 Goulder Terrace from early 1940s to the early 1950s. My great grandad Jack McGarry was away in India and Burma for some of the time leaving behind my great grand mother Nellie and my granddad Derrick and his brother Douglas at that address. My great great Grandparents, George and Edith Lockwood lived just around the corner at 54 Carltonville Road. Your Dad must have been at Goulder Terrace just before my great grandparents moved in!

WOW!!! Hey Jack and Nellie McGarry were my fathers aunt and uncle...nellie is my dads..fathers sister...derrick and douglas are my dads cousins...hes still in touch every so often with derrick....and george and edith lockwood are my fathers grandparents!!! The post below yours today also states about a dennis lockwood living on carlton ville road...well hes my dads brother!!! You say derrick is your grandad? So who are you..my dad seems to think derrick had 2 children..is that right...he thinks one is called susan?? blimey what a small world...i just rang my dad and told him about this..and hes utterly gobsmacked!! Would love to hear back from you if you would...you can pm me if you find thats better....how lovely isnt it...best wishes...poppy ps...I can remember myself going to see aunty nelly and uncle jack at the drill hall in barnsley..when I was a little girl...

Hi...I just wrote back to roxy about this one... the lockwoods you knew then..were they arthur and elizabeth ??If so.which I think they probably are..were my dads parents !!..the dennis youre on about is my fathers brother!! Dennis would have been born in 1933 cos he was 8yrs younger than my dad...whose ken lockwood....can you remember him?? Who are you if you dont mind me asking with you saying you lived in the same yard down on carlton ville road.?? My dad will be so thrilled and maybe will remember you....mind you hes 84 now so having a bit of trouble remembering a lot of things...lol..if you would rather pm me...please do....blimey...small world isnt it?? My dads over the moon..bless him....lol....regards....poppy

Thanks for all the info poppypoppy I have pm'ed you