Swine flu in Sheffield - latest developments?

lods of kids tested at Tapton, and so far not one has tested positive for swine flu.

Edited by Guest

I think that you are wrong about this. According to the BBC

She was not 'simply pregnant'.:

"Ms Fleming died on Sunday at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley. She had been suffering from underlying health problems and had recently given birth."

You haven't seen the full story. She was pregnant, contracted swine flu and they had to get the baby out due to the risks to both baby and mother, despite being 11 weeks premature. She died shortly afterwards and the baby died the next day.

You CAN take anti-flu drugs when pregnant. From the NHS:

"Can I take antiviral drugs if I am pregnant?

Yes, on the advice of a doctor. The Department of Health has purchased Relenza, an inhaled antiviral drug that treats flu without reaching the developing fetus."

Pregnant women are at a higher risk of developing complications but, please, let's keep the scare-mongering nonsense to a minimum.

Speaking as someone who should know, many of the medicines which would counteract a cold. flu or a bacterial infection are forbidden when pregnant. You can't even take an ibuprofen. I've just been on a whole raft of powerful antibiotics and many of them would be deadly to an unborn baby - if flu brought on bacterial pneumococcal infection any pregnant woman and her child would be at great risk. You have to factor in allergies to various drugs, and whether a person responds to them anyway, not always guaranteed.

It's called being informed. I'm not 'too cool for school' ;)

You haven't seen the full story. She was pregnant, contracted swine flu and they had to get the baby out due to the risks to both baby and mother, despite being 11 weeks premature. She died shortly afterwards and the baby died the next day.

Do you have a source for this?

That's not the full story either. She had suffered a stroke a couple of years ago. That's the "underlying health problems" they were talking about.

Speaking as someone who should know, many of the medicines which would counteract a cold. flu or a bacterial infection are forbidden when pregnant. You can't even take an ibuprofen. I've just been on a whole raft of powerful antibiotics and many of them would be deadly to an unborn baby - if flu brought on bacterial pneumococcal infection any pregnant woman and her child would be at great risk. You have to factor in allergies to various drugs, and whether a person responds to them anyway, not always guaranteed.

It's called being informed. I'm not 'too cool for school' ;)

Again, while true as far as it goes this not the whole story. Pregnant women certainly can take retroviral drugs - under medical supervision, obviously.

What the NHS says is here:

nhs.uk/Conditions/Pandemic-flu/Pages/QA.aspx

They say that there are risks attached to retroviral use in pregnancy, but lower risks than those attached to influenza.

We have had a letter back from school today that reads as follows..It has been confirmed by the H.P.O that a child who has been away from Hallam for the last three days has had a test where the result is sugestive of a diagnosis but the test is not clear and will be redone.

Basicly the rest of the letter said school is open for now, but will close if the test becomes positive

I was tested on Tuesday lunchtime, still waiting on my results........... BORED and stir crazy !

How long do the tests take to do? I was really hoping that it was quick. Now that it's unsure I will have to take steps to avoid mixing with my sister and dad on sunday because of the risk of passing it on (they have weak immune systems due to a pre existing health condition):mad:

My boyfriend is a builder and was helping extend a school in Birmingham but now they have stopped work as 30 children were sent home because of the swine flu yet there are still other kids going to the school which doesn't make sense to me at all.

How long do the tests take to do? I was really hoping that it was quick. Now that it's unsure I will have to take steps to avoid mixing with my sister and dad on sunday because of the risk of passing it on (they have weak immune systems due to a pre existing health condition):mad:

On Tuesday i was told 24 hours. On Weds i was told 48 hours because they are innundated. Today i was told that the Lab would contact me directly when my results were ready. I'm still waiting..............