Swine flu in Sheffield - latest developments?

If there are any health workers on here or someone who understands natural ingredients for healing, AND someone who definitely knows the 'special' ingredient that makes tamiflu work.

I've been informed that the 'special' ingredient is 'Star Anise', which isn't listed in the usual lists on the box. Is this correct, and would the natural oil...(?) work just as well and in a more healthy way than all the symptoms listed as side-effects?

At the moment, the list of side-effects of tamiflu look worse than having flu!

I've been informed that the 'special' ingredient is 'Star Anise', which isn't listed in the usual lists on the box. Is this correct, and would the natural oil...(?) work just as well and in a more healthy way than all the symptoms listed as side-effects?

Hmmm that is interesting. Just read an article on the web which says not unfortunately. :(

http://www.drugs.com/news/star_anise_spice_new_bird_flu-1631.html

In its original form as a spice, star anise offers little or no help to flu sufferers. Shikimic acid is extracted from the fruit's distinctive seedpod only by a lengthy and complicated process-and the details are Roche's trade-secret.

my niece has just been on holiday to tunisia and her bf came back feeling unwell. he called nhs direct yesterday and they asked him several questions and then told him to contact his gp within the next 5 hours. the dr's arranged to have tablets delivered to his home and he has been advised to stay indoors for 7 days!!!

Hmmm that is interesting. Just read an article on the web which says not unfortunately. :(

http://www.drugs.com/news/star_anise_spice_new_bird_flu-1631.html

Thanks for looking molar, I wasn't sure and out of curiosity, just wanted someone to say yay or nay!

Debbie, hope he's soon on the mend and back on his feet.

Never mind swine flew, we have a problem with TB. This was irradicated in the UK within the 2 decades, its back but from where, a nurse at the childrens caught it from a child who had recently entered the county from East Africa. She was pensioned off. You don't hear of this fact in the press as the NHS keeps a lid on these things as they might offend those who are bringing TB to our shores. We should medically screen non residents for detectable conditions and send them packing. This would not be based on colour or ethnicity just weather they are infected IMO.

Never mind swine flew, we have a problem with TB. This was irradicated in the UK within the 2 decades, its back but from where, a nurse at the childrens caught it from a child who had recently entered the county from East Africa. She was pensioned off. You don't hear of this fact in the press as the NHS keeps a lid on these things as they might offend those who are bringing TB to our shores. We should medically screen non residents for detectable conditions and send them packing. This would not be based on colour or ethnicity just weather they are infected IMO.

Apparently children are not being injected for TB any more at I think around age 11,because the powers that be say it is no longer necessary to protect them. I would have thought it was more important for them to be protected now than it was say ten years ago. With all the immigration and no health checks on the people coming in, we are going to see a lot more TB. I would definitely pay to have my children injected to protect them.

Apparently children are not being injected for TB any more at I think around age 11,because the powers that be say it is no longer necessary to protect them. I would have thought it was more important for them to be protected now than it was say ten years ago. With all the immigration and no health checks on the people coming in, we are going to see a lot more TB. I would definitely pay to have my children injected to protect them.

When I asked the nurse about this recently, she told me they're only screening immigrants.

Personally I'm concerned about it as we almost lost my neice aged 4 to TB (she's in her 20's now) but they still won't screen my kids.

[sorry to veer off topic]

I think it was about 2005ish, we received a letter from school about the TB immunisation programme. Our child was of the age to have it, and we thought it was to tell us to sign for it etc etc.....apparently not :confused:

It stated that the TB innoculation programme that began in the 50's (??) was so successful that it had now been erradicated in the UK, therefore the Public Health Department (or wotever its called) had decided to abandon the national programme of innoculations.

I was totally flabbergasted, amazed , shocked or whatever you wanna call it:rant:

Apparently they (PHD) said that the cases of TB reported were usually confined to people from certain areas of the world, and because they lived in large multi generational families, these children were more susceptible to contracting the disease. They deemed that it was highly unlikely that a British child was in danger, therefore they suspended innoculation.

There was very little in the press at the time.....as if they were keeping it under wraps so as not to cause an outcry. IMHO

We only found out about it as our child was due to be innoculated.

I was vaccinated against TB twice. Once as a baby as I was born in Manchester in an area that had high incidents of TB due to emigration in the late 1970's so all babies born in the area I lived were vaccinated against it which I think was quite unusual?

Then again at school. I suppose it is a balancing act between costs of treating people with it and costs of a national vaccination programme.

Edited by Evei

I had it twice too as we had a family at our school where two of the four kids got it. The girl had TB/meningitis and she was slightly brain damaged as a result, the boy came out well. I was 8 at the time. Then I had the jab again in high school as the heaf test (?) required me to have it done. When some 5 years later when my neice had it, they said it obviously hadn't worked and maybe I was immune or a carrier they were quite vague (?? pass I have no idea)

Whats the big commotion about swine flu?

You only die if your seriously ill to begin with, so if your not ill now, you dont need to worry!

Swine flu at Beck primary school apparently