Swine flu in Sheffield - latest developments?

Hadn't really paid too much attention to all this but my daughter started with 'flu like symptoms' today. All achy and tired and running a very high tempreture, feeling nauseous and with diarrhoea. obviously i won't send her to school like this but I'm wondering whether I should get her tested and if so how? Maybe when I call the school on Monday it might trigger something. I work in a hospital and I know we have a swine flu policy but it doesn't cover this.

Call NHS direct on 0845 4647, and they will advise whether they think your daughter needs to see the Doctor. If you are worried, take her to the Doctor anyway.

how do they test you for this virus?

Dont take her to the Doctor - they will send a Doc out if need be. They don't want potential swines in the Surgery ! (I speak from experience)

Has anybody heard anything about Silverdale?

get a grip - it's only flu for gawd's sake.

Influenza isn't something to take lightly. I would suggest that 9 out of 10 people to claim to have flu have only had a bad cold. Flu can put you in bed for days, and if the rate of exponential growth of confirmed cases continues (neat graph) as it has it could have very serious implications for many services and the economy. For pregnant women and people with other health issues it can be extremely serious, and has already proven to be deadly. As mentioned on this thread, there is great uncertainty over whether the flu will mutate as we move into flu seasons in both hemispheres, and this could cause major public health issues up and down the country, and worldwide. The bird-flu strain had a mortality rate of around 60-70%, however it had a low transmission rate (Swine flu is currently around the 0.5-1% range). A mutation of the swine flu strain coupled with it's current high transmission rate would be devastating.

The story has been done to death in the news, and people are sick of hearing about all the warnings and precautions and 'scaremongering', but it's important to follow the guidelines in the post and on the NHS websites, and keep an eye open for family members who get a fever.

Its a Swob in your throat and up your nose. Dont take her into the surgery call them instead and they will send someone round.

miamarriot -

What a stupid comment- yes its flu, flu can kill the vunerable and the young. So people should need to report so the Health Authority can monitor the spread.

i work in public health smarty pants so get a grip. anyone very young, ill or vulnerable would call the doctor if they had flu and this is no better and no worse. and it's 'swabbing' not swobbing

i work in public health smarty pants so get a grip. anyone very young, ill or vulnerable would call the doctor if they had flu and this is no better and no worse. and it's 'swabbing' not swobbing

where do you work? I'm in public health/health policy:)

swab also swob (swb)

n.

a. A small piece of absorbent material attached to the end of a stick or wire and used for cleansing or applying medicine.

b. A specimen of mucus or other material removed with a swab.

2. A sponge or patch of absorbent material used to clean the bore of a firearm or cannon.

3. A mop used for cleaning floors or decks.

4. Slang A sailor.

5. Slang A lout.

tr.v. swabbed also swobbed, swab·bing also swob·bing, swabs also swobs

1. To use a swab on.

2. To clean with a swab.

Edited by Puddleduck07

Ive heard that its rife in Hallamshire Hospital???:help:

Ive heard that its rife in Hallamshire Hospital???:help:

Its been a lot busier than normal.