I dialled 999 and got put on hold...

Have you ever dialled 999 and been put on hold?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever dialled 999 and been put on hold?

• Yes, can you believe it! (I was murdered and now I'm dead :rolleyes: )
    • No, they've always answered my call immediatley (after all it was an emergency! :rolleyes: )
    • I've never rung 999 - please show me the results.

Originally posted by rubydazzler

The call system is a mess and has been for a long time. Promises keep being made about sorting it out but very little seems to be actually happening. Maybe this is why the 999 system is being overloaded resulting in people having to be put on hold ...?

That's exactly the reason why more people ring 999. It's the same reason that people go to A&E in hospital more and more rather than wait 2 weeks to see a doctor. It's alright for the government to bleat on about people abusing the 999 and A&E systems but they are destroying services by their constant cut backs.

That's exactly the reason why more people ring 999. It's the same reason that people go to A&E in hospital more and more rather than wait 2 weeks to see a doctor. It's alright for the government to bleat on about people abusing the 999 and A&E systems but they are destroying services by their constant cut backs.

HERE HERE to that !!!

I have had reason to phone 999 twice and neither time was put on hold. The first was because my Dad had been burgled and I thought the offender was still in the house. The second time was because my partner was knocked off his bike. Even though I was not put on hold, the response times in both cases were pathetic.

Originally posted by sparklesista

Well, last night whilst myself, duffman, adaline and rizvan were walking back from the pub, a car slowed down to a crawl along side us.

We all thought they were asking for directions until the guy in the front passenger seat shouted "hey gorgeous, you're looking good today" and then gleamed this big kitchen knife at me! :mad:

Naturally we all carried on walking away and quickly picked up our pace but I was worried that some other poor innocent soul would be attacked or abducted by these b******s! :rant:

Well at least we are all ok, it is lucky that whilst on hold to 999 that we flagged down a passing police patrol car, I must say the two officers who delt with the incident were top notch :thumbsup: However, the desk monkeys made a terrible mistake (wont go into details) which didn't fill us with confidence :mad:

...monkeys made a terrible mistake (wont go into details)...

You cant say that ? :( not we are all intrigued !!!

Sparkle ... you've still not taken the hint as to the company you keep .......

Originally posted by MobileB

Sparkle ... you've still not taken the hint as to the company you keep .......

:o I wouldn't say that Adaline, Rizvan or Duffman were bad company!

Oooh errrr Sparklesista, this sounds really scary stuff :gag:

What's the description of the car?

Hmm, i've always felt reasonably safe walking around Sheffield in the past - I won't know though.

Good job you (Duff, Adaline & Riz) managed to flag down a police car. You just never know what's going to happen ...

Glad you are all ok

Fun just never stops in my company ;)

Originally posted by t020

Whilst this was a nasty incident, I don't really think it was a 999 *emergency* call incident either, which is probably why you were put on hold. I would've reported it directly to the local police station.

PS. I've never dialled 999 so can't vote in your poll or even see the results.

Just out of interest, what would you class as an *emergency* which would result in a 999 call, bearing in mind people abuse 999 to inform the police that they're locked out of their homes! If you have actually posted to say what u class as an emergency then i apologise but i don't have time to read all the replies lol!

Originally posted by tinkabel

Just out of interest, what would you class as an *emergency* which would result in a 999 call, bearing in mind people abuse 999 to inform the police that they're locked out of their homes! If you have actually posted to say what u class as an emergency then i apologise but i don't have time to read all the replies lol!

Only rang 999 twice . a couple of years ago. I was walking through town about 11:30pm at night on my own, a lad came up to me begging for help he was covered in blood and his face was all sliced open. He was panicing because some lads had caught him and were now after his mate, he had managed to get away.

It was just outsides HSBC on fargate so I jumped into the telephone box to call 999, they put me on hold after a min or so, I saw a police car coming down the bus lane so left the phone box and flagged the police car and they sorted him from there.

The other time was on new years day in the early hours in manchester a bloke was walking by the bus stop on the opposite side of the road, me and my friends were stood at it , next 7+ lads ran past him smashing bottles and there was a loud bang, the man dropped to the floor. There was blood everywhere I can't remember much as I was that drunk. we rang an ambulance that was there within 5 mins. the police took some of our numbers but never rang any of us up.

I hope that man was ok.

Yes, I've had the unfortunancy of ringing through to the emergency services - it was around 2100, no holding - straight through. I believe it came from Sidcup's hospital, but the patient went to Darent Valley (Kent).

Alex