BNP Megathread (23-05-2009 to 29-06-2009)

Fewer people voted, full stop, the share increased though.

That's hardly relevant. The share only increased because people who did vote Labour didn't vote on Thursday. Nobody(in a psephological sense) in Yorks/Humber who previously voted Labour, or any other party, turned to the BNP on Thursday, however disillusioned they were: is that not a failure?

Only the BNP's original hardcore of support turned out to support them and slightly less at that, they are therefore no more popular and no more mainstream.

As an aside, I expect a lot of people who did not vote this time will, in future elections, come out to cast a vote specifically against the BNP (that's the, very unscientific, impression I get from acquaintances/workmates etc). If the BNP have done one good thing, it is to provide a reason for the silent majority (ie the 60% who did not vote and are overwhelmingly not far-rightists) to attend a polling station.

Only the BNP's original hardcore of support turned out to support them and slightly less at that, they are therefore no more popular and no more mainstream.

And this despite the BNP campaigning this time around as their big opportunity.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
Fixed quotes

Yes, fewer people voted across the board. You implied, however, that people telling Yorkshiremen not to vote BNP had driven them towards the party, which is obviously not correct.

Plus you would expect the fringe vote to hold up, studies have shown that their hardcore supporters are more likely to go out and vote than floating mainstream voters. But that is what they are, a hardcore of natural supporters, whose numbers have fallen despite supposedly ideal conditions for them to grow.

It's still indisputable fact that fewer people voted BNP in Yorks and Humberside than in 2004, which is pretty incredible given the noise they've been making.

Fewer people voted for all parties not just the BNP!

As I said here come the excuses

The 10% has grown from the last time..from little acorns.....It doesnt really matter what percentage is there now the fact is that people are slowly realising that immigration is out of control and there is still a hell of a lot of people out there who wouldnt vote for the BNP in any circumstance that will be agreeing with that fact.I dont give a toss whether the BNP has won 2 seats or 202 as long as somebody that can make a difference learns from the BNP success I will be happy

Exactly; spot on.

So the BNP's core vote held up better (which you would surely expect). They did not broaden their appeal in the slightest, however, despite a tremendous loss of support for labour (whose disillusioned voters would surely have been looking for alternatives).

You can't read.................look again.....

I said ; "Perhaps they didn't intend to be, or they didn't realise how racist the BNP is"

Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps, what a lot of weight you give to that word; a bit like what if this and what if that!

So the BNP's core vote held up better (which you would surely expect). They did not broaden their appeal in the slightest, however, despite a tremendous loss of support for labour (whose disillusioned voters would surely have been looking for alternatives).

Who else broadened their appeal? it would be interesting to see what percentage of the vote the BNP got in the last elections

No need for the bold Bassman, no one is under an impression to the contrary, but you were unable to accept that the BNP vote was lower than 2004.