Gun clubs??

I used to shoot a .22 pistol in a quarry at ecclesfield years ago just up from the white bear will be gone now I would bet,my lad just got arrested for shooting at targets in beely woods,air rifles are now classed as firearms,and can't be fired anywhere but ranges

he was let off with a caution after having the rifle confiscated for a week, and then was returned baring a few scratches,

don't know who told you this but it's wrong, you can't shoot on any public land but can shoot on any private land with the landowners permission...

(beely woods is (i think) public land)

i got into trouble shooting on public land about 30years ago and had to appear at dinnington police station where a very nice chief constable read us the relevant laws on shooting, he let us have our guns back because we were only shooting at cans and nothing living;)

john:)

Are you sure ?

A quick google brings up this :

Airguns in the UK are subject to the firearms acts, under the Firearms (Dangerous air weapons) rules 1969 they are classified as low powered Air Weapons and as such they are restricted to a maximum power of 12 foot pounds force for a rifle and 6 foot pounds force for a pistol. Above 12ftlb a rifle is classified as a Section 1 Firearm and requires a licence called a firearms certificate, and a pistol above 6ftlb is again a Section 1 Firearm requiring a firearms certificate in the UK."

So, I suppose it all depends how powerful it is and if they have the property owners permission...

The full thing can be found here :

http://www.airpistol.co.uk/airgun_law.htm

you are correct (well done for finding the correct legislation:thumbsup:)

most rifles are under the 12foot pounds legal limit (and quiet a lot aren't able to be made to go over that limit)

there are also laws covering shooting distances from public highweays too, ie, you can shoot on private land with the owners permission but no closer than (from memory) 50feet from the centre of a public highway, also, it's an offence if any pellets leave the property for obvious reasons...

btw, ecclesfield shooting club is for rimfire (live round) shooting and membership is with a view to obtaining a firearms certificate (fac):)

You can use one in your own garden, provided it's not less than 50 feet from the centre of a road.

thought it was 50 yards from public highways,not 50ft,50 ft not that great of a distance my rifle will take bunnies quite easily at 30 yards.and thats at 12 pound pressure.

Edited by animal2477

thought it was 50 yards from public highways,not 50ft,50 ft not that great of a distance my rifle will take bunnies quite easily at 30 yards.and thats at 12 pound pressure.

definitely not 50 yards and yes, it seems daft:loopy:

"and a pistol above 6ftlb is again a Section 1 Firearm requiring a firearms certificate in the UK.""

The only pistols allowed are black powder ones,no air pistols are allowed over 6fpe at all,

The range at Ecclesfield is a private one,you can't just turn up and shoot there,its "trespass while discharging a firearm" if you do,

"Anston" "Redferns" and "Emley" seem to be the most popular air rifle clubs in the "area",But shooting is a very popular sport so expect a long wait just to get through the door no matter where you choose,

JJ.. (EPRC R.C.O) :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi I want to be a member I am new to Sheffield forum could you call me please my number is 07772591323 I want to Hunt rabbits thank you if can anybody help me thank you how could be a member of a club could you give me a phone number place on a website thank you