Train Station closed to non ticket holders

been on the news today

A rail company is pressing ahead with plans for controversial ticket barriers at Sheffield station despite a campaign by the city council and residents.

East Midlands Trains said it will issue free passes to residents who apply to allow them access to the footbridge.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/8185631.stm

I travelled to Edinburgh earlier this year - I couldn't get from one platform to another without going through a barrier - which was fine as it was manned. I also was in Leeds station, I don't need a ticket to travel there, just my bus pass which won't go through the barriers. Again, the barriers were manned, and opened for me and others using their passes. There didn't seem to be any problems, and people used the concourse in both stations freely.

Sheffield could also have barriers on the platforms, allowing people to use the bridge as a thoroughfare. Barriers circling the foot of the stairs on each platform. Or is that logistically impossible?

How old is the bridge? If it's 20 years or more then it might be possible to register a right of way over it IIRC.

The actual bridge was built in circa 1890s when the station was extended , however the access to to the supertram was opened around 1999 if that on its present route. If you remember a new set of steps was built at the north end of platform 6/8 you had to go on the normal bridge then walk on the platform to the steps to get access to the back of the station then the present access was built which extended the old bridge further towards the rear of the station . It is understood that public money was used to build this access. This was done around 10 years ago .

The comment earlier about putting barriers at the bottom of the steps so that the brdige could still be used would cause space problems and of course cost problems , I disagree witht he comments above regarding Leeds barriers been ok I find that they are often not working and dont accept a ticket if it is used for "break in journey" which is of course permitted under ATOC rules (Assn of train operating Co's)

Sheffield could also have barriers on the platforms, allowing people to use the bridge as a thoroughfare. Barriers circling the foot of the stairs on each platform. Or is that logistically impossible?

A whole lot of passengers waiting on platform 2 for one train. Then it is announced a few minutes before its departure that there is a platform alteration and the train will leave from platform 1, which means going through two sets of barriers. Plus in my experience (certainly on the tube) exit barriers of the same station tend to refuse tickets within 15 minutes after going through the entrance barriers. I had this problem when using a travelcard then changing my mind where I wanted to go just before I got to the platform.

Edited by CheekyBandit