Train Station closed to non ticket holders

Barriers aren't very intimidating so that problem will be solved when the barriers go in.

I have to disagree with that thought, Hels. I do find the barriers intimidating.

I have to disagree with that thought, Hels. I do find the barriers intimidating.

Okay, I do understand for those with mobilty problems then they may be intimidating. However the person I was quoting was referring to a human (whilst also giving no indication of why they found them intimidating) and as such the comparison could be drawn.

Okay, I do understand for those with mobilty problems then they may be intimidating. However the person I was quoting was referring to a human (whilst also giving no indication of why they found them intimidating) and as such the comparison could be drawn.

what? ;) so those with mobility probs aren't human? :o;) ;) hehehe

what? ;) so those with mobility probs aren't human? :o;) ;) hehehe

You know what I meant!:P

I was told today by 8 jumped up failed medical experiments, (I think East Midlands call them employees)

I have now decided never to use so called public transport again, regardless of global warming, its worth the world warming up just so we never having to use public transport again.

That'll be people doing their jobs, following their instructions from management- that doesn't make them any of what you called them.I'm sure they hate standing there and taking verbal abuse and threats of physical abuse.However at least they are working, paying taxes unlike some scum in this country

I'm sure your decision will be a great loss to both EMT and the world of public transport..NOT

It's not just the barrier staff with an attitude problem the ticket staff are no better!

I tried to get an advance ticket the other day and was looked at like a Martian!

well these specimens have pee'd me off too much now and i'm going to do more than complain, gonna show them up and stop East Midalnds trade, It really annoys me that they can behave this way and treat people like dirt just because they don't purchase a local ticket with cash before entering the station.

It's about standing up for yourself. I caught a train last week and encountered the ticket barrier staff for the first time. I'd entered the station at the back entrance and purchased a ticket from the machine. There were four staff there at the top of the steps and one of them asked for my ticket. I gave it to him, he scribbled on it with a marker and then handed it back to me.

I then told him that this was theft, the station footbridge was partly set up by public money and that restricting public access to it made them no better than the fare dodgers they claim they want to stop. He looked bemused but one of his colleagues said "we're just doing our job sir". To which I replied "No, you're stealing public money is what you're doing" and walked off towards the platform. If more people start protesting the footbridge closure then it'll only hasten the humiliating climbdown East Midlands Thieves will soon be making regarding the footbridge.

I then told him that this was theft, the station footbridge was partly set up by public money and that restricting public access to it made them no better than the fare dodgers they claim they want to stop. He looked bemused but one of his colleagues said "we're just doing our job sir". To which I replied "No, you're stealing public money is what you're doing" and walked off towards the platform. If more people start protesting the footbridge closure then it'll only hasten the humiliating climbdown East Midlands Thieves will soon be making regarding the footbridge.

Stealing public money? Have they stole it, you are implying they have done something illegal.

EMT run the train station. The bridge is part of the train station. People use it to get to a platform to catch trains. It was never intended as a shortcut to Primark.

EMT staff get paid to do their job. They do not go to a board room and as much as I am sure they would love to pass on your comments they will not get the opportunity to. How rude of you to give them grief, they are just doing what they have been told to do. Encouraging other people to do the same is quite frankly childish.

The attitude from some people is giving Sheffielders a bad name. This system happens up and down the country.

For those fussing about how to get from Park Hill into town there is the tram and plenty of other routes. People are moaning that they can't do this, can't so that - please stop complaining and get on with your life.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes you may never know the full story and sometimes it is for the best that people don't know. The decision has been made to make access to the platforms ticket only - live with it, your life will not stop and there is always another route to Primark.

Stealing public money? Have they stole it, you are implying they have done something illegal.

If the council did indeed spend a lot of money on renovating a public footbridge, then it's immoral at the very least.

The decision has been made to make access to the platforms ticket only

And it may be reversed - the council is considering not allowing them to install barriers. In extremis, the council may make a Public Path Creation order and take it out of EMT's hands.

The council is currently running a poll on its website to gauge public opinion on what it should do.

It was never intended as a shortcut to Primark.

Live with it, your life will not stop and there is always another route to Primark.

It isn't a short cut to Primark.

You just need to stow away on the tram for two more stops:loopy:.

:D

If the council did indeed spend a lot of money on renovating a public footbridge, then it's immoral at the very least.

And it may be reversed - the council is considering not allowing them to install barriers. In extremis, the council may make a Public Path Creation order and take it out of EMT's hands.

The council is currently running a poll on its website to gauge public opinion on what it should do.

The poll is here:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/whats-new/stationbarrierpoll

I hope they do make this Public Path Creation order. I want stations to be vibrant lively public places, not depressing closed places that log you in electronically and send your location back to government central computer (as this will if the ID card project goes national).