Warminster Road history

Hi, not sure if I am posting in the right section, but I am looking for any information on the sight where the Orchard nursing home is at the moment. I am interested in finding out what it used to be before Orchard bought it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

hello

just been reading your queery about warminster rd i don't know if it would help you but the first time i heard of w/r was in 1957 or there abouts at the time i worked for the city engineers dept, three of us were dropped off a lorry on the first day of making a start clearing the way through from around 200yds from the bottom to the first rd higher on the left in between were a few allotments above were a sheffield water works depot on the right it's not a lot but it may help.these allotments blocked the road all the way across, our job was to make warminster rd a through rd which we did

p.s i've just remembered something extra i remembered a footpath from ketton avenue to the bottom of warminster rd the allotments i wrote about derelict at the time i remember there were a lot of privet about 6ft to 8ft high the second day came the bulldozers, after it was cleared of brush and rubbish, the workmens caravans and huts were sited opposite ketton avenue.

then a new sewerage system was layed i know as i helped dig the trench.i also remember a electic sub station thereabouts.l

Edited by willybite
extra info

Yeah the address is 156 Warminster Road. Its Opposite Ketton Ave. I remember that it used to be some kind of care facility in the 90's but not sure what kind, and I have been asked to find out if it was ever used as a childrens care centre/hostel.

I think the area you're inquiring about, where the new care home is, was

"The Lees" care home for old people which was pulled down and rightly so round about 2004,the respite unit for young people is lower down Warminster Road if it's this same one you're talking about.

• 1 year later...

this is a late response. I'm just trawling through posts on the history site.

The ground prior to the Lees Nursing home was an old peoples home / complex. Before that the area was only allotments. The council used the land further down the road to build houses.

It was never a children's care centre.

136 warminster rd was and still is a residential unit for adults with learning disabilities. It was opened in 1977. I know that because I worked there for 13 years. The lees was the elderly unit and number 154 was the bungalow within the grounds of the lees. 154 was a day service for adults with learning disabilities during the late 1980's and throughout the 1990's.

• 1 year later...
136 warminster rd was and still is a residential unit for adults with learning disabilities. It was opened in 1977. I know that because I worked there for 13 years. The lees was the elderly unit and number 154 was the bungalow within the grounds of the lees. 154 was a day service for adults with learning disabilities during the late 1980's and throughout the 1990's.

154 was a day service for adults after 1986. Before that I lived their !

• 4 weeks later...