Children and sunhats

As summer is just around the corner, I need help!

How can I get my 11 month old child to keep his sunhat on?

He is very fair and will probably easily burn. I will of course endeavour to keep him in the shade at all times but now he is mobile this is getting more difficult in our south facing garden.

Does anyone have any tried and tested hints and tips? (Superglue will probably work but I doubt my social worker mother-in-law would be impressed!).

how about some kind of electric shock device so that when he touches the hat to try and pull it off he gets more buzz than he bargained for???

Always worked for mine....

PS - typing this from Doncaster Prison Protected Inmates Wing

I have tried elastic and ties. Big mistake. He pulled the elastic and let go. It hit him in the face and he had a nice red welt to prove it! He always manges to get hats with ties off.

With regard to letting him choose his own hat - his collection rivals the Queen's. He has hats with teletubbies on, hats with his name on etc. I even went as far as sewing a clear, plastic pocket to a hat and putting various photographs in it.

Tried the reverse psychology today - he didn't get it!

I am currently working on an electric shock device! He will wear a hat even if it hurts him!

Seriously, if anyone has any more suggestions please share as I am concerned. I do not want a baby with sunstroke but I do want to be able to enjoy the garden over summer.

Originally posted by psyn

Seriously, if anyone has any more suggestions please share as I am concerned. I do not want a baby with sunstroke but I do want to be able to enjoy the garden over summer.

Don't forget the factor 30 sunscreen :thumbsup:

My brother has dark hair but unreasonably fair skin. As a baby he was left outside on an overcast day and wound up with a face full of blisters :shocked:

Have you considered a gazebo?

I don't think there is a magic solution to this one, other than perseverence.

Tot pulls it off, you put it back on and so forth.

Like previous posters say, use sunscreen. I actually use sun-block - child tends to look like coco the clown but stays burn free. :clap:

Try playing 'hidey-boo' with the brim, turn the 'game' of him whipping it off n you putting it back into a game of he keeps it on & you play 'wheres-he-gone'.

Walk away disinterested & tell him "right I'm not playing" if he pulls the hat off.

See if he puts it on for more 'fun' & your attention :D

Originally posted by Shiesh

give him a bucket then....my kids always put them on their heads..!

:D

Shiesh, try wearing a bit more make-up, and a little less Burberry at the beach?

I always wore my hat as a kid. There's enough embarrassing pictures of me with a flowered hat on as a toddler to prove it! I reckon the reverse psychology technique is worth giving another go.