Anyone had Laser eye surgery recently?

I havnnnnt hed iy donr tet buy am hopinb to habe ir donr siin

20/20 vision is only average! It's American format, and means the same as 6/6 in the UK. Really good vision is 6/3, very good is 6/4, good is 6/5 and average is 6/6.

6/6 (20/20) means that you can see at 6 metres (20 feet) what the average person can see at 6 metres (20 feet).

6/3 (20/10) means that you can see at 6 metres (20 feet) what the average person can see at 3 metres (10 feet).

Easy! So 6/6 (20/20) is not impressive at all.

Any optometrist or ophthalmologist using American format in the UK is suspect.

They all use it to talk to the patient as 6/6 doesn't mean very much whereas 20/20 means good vision to most people.

With both eyes open I got the bottom row on the chart without difficulty, I think that would be 6/3, my right eye is at 6/6 though, my left eye is better 6/4 maybe. Is it normal for the best vision to be with both eyes, I'd have thought so.

I havnnnnt hed iy donr tet buy am hopinb to habe ir donr siin

My first smile of the day - thanks! Very good.....

They all use it to talk to the patient as 6/6 doesn't mean very much whereas 20/20 means good vision to most people.

With both eyes open I got the bottom row on the chart without difficulty, I think that would be 6/3, my right eye is at 6/6 though, my left eye is better 6/4 maybe. Is it normal for the best vision to be with both eyes, I'd have thought so.

Yup - I have pretty good vision with each eye independently (with my contacts), but better vision together. Its what the brain is set up to do!

Glad the surgery seemed to work for you.

Ive heard it takes away your macro vision, and thats why you always see an optitian wearing glasses and not going for lazer treatment.

I had mine done at Optimax in Leeds 2 years ago and it was brilliant. The procedure I had was where they cut flaps with the laser, the more expensive option, but I thought it was worth it. Could see straight away from being very short sighted since the age of 9 and it corrected astigmatism in both eyes.

I use +1 reading glasses (not prescription)to help with small print, due to my age, they told me this might be the case but I can live with that as I only use them occasionally as I need to.

I still have 2 £100 off vouchers if anyone wants one, just let me know.

Yes, best vision is with both, generally. However, the chart you were looking at most likely didn't go down to 6/3 - there wouldn't be that much disparity. The bottom line is usually 6/5 or sometimes 6/4.

I disagree with you that people would find 20/20 easier to understand than 6/6. For those who do, the minority I hope, it's mostly to do with Blondie! (If I had a photograph of you...) It's also due to American junk culture.

Optometrists will tell you exactly what your visual acuity is if you ask them, and they have a duty to explain. They should always use SI units unless they are old, patronising, and haven't kept up to date with CET, in which case they shouldn't be practising! Very up-to-date optometrists will use Bailie and Lovie's LogMAR scale.

If an optometrist gave me my visual acuity in the old format, I would pay him in shillings!

Edited by Dhimmi

Ive heard it takes away your macro vision, and thats why you always see an optitian wearing glasses and not going for lazer treatment.
Ophthalmologists too. Very few people in the biz have had it done themselves! :hihi:

Funny, but I saw 3 opticians at the ultralase clinic (on different visions) and multiple technicians, all of whom had had the procedure.

I also checked with my uncle who's been an optician for longer than I've been alive and he'd have it done himself if he wasn't quite a lot over the recommended age and he didn't mention any loss of macro vision.

How can you disagree that anyone thinks that 20/20 is excellent when the reason we're discussing it is that someone quoted it as an example of excellent vision?

I have another check up this Thur, I'll get the exact figures for my acuity (just out of interest). It's supposedly one month before my vision will have fully stopped fluctuating, I stopped using the anti inflammatory drops today and as a result it's been slightly less clear all day.

I had the Lasik with wavefront op just over 2 years ago in Leeds. It was through one of the national chain-optitians (Vision Express? - sorry, can't remember which, but it has a branch just near the Oasis at Meadowhall), so I only needed to go to Leeds for the acutal op. All the pre assessments and post check ups were at Meadowhall. The op was not painful at all, only lasted 10 minutes, and only very slightly uncomfortable afterwards. They told me to go home and have a good sleep, so I wouldn't notice it. I was tested the next day and was fit to drive. Within a week my sight was better than 20/20 and has remained so. I've had no problems since, and although I was fine wearing contacts (had worn them for about 20 years), they are still inconvenient, especially for swimming, going on holiday, travelling etc.

The first time I woke up and didn't have to scrabble around for my specs, could see the clock - the entire room was incredible. I wish I'd had it done years ago, although it was probably worth waiting until the procedure had been so well tested and developed.

I've spoken to lots of people who have either had this done, or know people who have, and there's not been a bad story to tell.

I didn't have to avoid washing my hair, although it was a bit daunting not being able to wear lenses or eye makeup for 2 weeks before, and no eye make up for a few days afterwards (especially when you're as blond and Boris Becker eyelashed as I am).

One thing I would say though, is that they tell you that you can return to work after a couple of days. I had my op on the Saturday and took Monday off work. However my job involved being glued to a screen all day, which was a bit much. With hindsight, I'd have taken a couple more days until things had settled down more.

Maybe they've updated their procedures then, as it's the same clinic and it definitely says no hair washing now.

It's a whole list of stuff not to do and for how long.

I had the OP on the Friday and did a 10 hour day in front of the PC on the Monday following.

I had laser sugery about 2 years ago and I LUV my new vision! still dont need spex or cls and the best thing is when i go swimming as i realy struggled before with me lenses. I got it done at sheffield vision clinic and they were brilliant you can see there web site it is http://www.sheffieldvisioncentre.co.uk/

I actually found out about this place on another website i found called http://www.treatmentsaver.com

Had all the clinics on ther and also loadsa useful info on laser eye surgery

Hope this helps

;)