Day Out for 5yr Old

The missus is working on Saturday and I would like to take my 5yr old son out for the day to a place of local interest can anyone recommend anywhere thats a short drive away.

In recent weeks we have visited:

Bolsover Castle

Magna

Cresswell Crags

Surprise (past Owler Bar towards Hathersage)

Botanical Gardens

Millhouses Park.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I just took our son to whirlow farm. It was lovely and there was a friendly chap there by the name of Barrie who gives a little tour round the farm. They have lambs, chickens, goats horses and pigs. They also have a little farm shop selling local produce. Sadly they don't have a cafe yet so you will have to pack a drink/picnic.

If it's cold and wet then there is western Park Museum near the children's hospital. It's great for children, interactive and has a cafe. Great place.

Treak Cliff cavern or Peak cavern are good if he doesn't mind the dark, Castleton also has ducks on the riverside and nice ice cream.

Endcliffe Park is all new offering some lovely play equiptment, it gets quite busy but it is nice.There is a great little cafe there too.

If he has a friend to take I highly recommend sheffield ski village, but only in dry weather. It has an ace playground called Adventure mountain,it's all wood and gets really slippery when wet, I have had a bruise to prove it! open weeekdays (2769459) 10-5pm.

We once jumped on a train to Edale and played in the playground nearby and went back home again...was nice just for the train ride! Cafe there too.

The winter gardens and millenium galleries are fab too in town...ooh I love Sheffield, the list is endless.

Hope you have a lovely day out and let us know where you went and if you recommend it.

Graves park is brill my son loves it up there, there's the park cafe/ large playing park. animal farm. lovely on a sunny day. the farm has all the usuall animals.... pigs ( piglets have just been born) chickens/ donkeys/rabbits/birds/goats ect.. have a great day wherever you decide 2 go:)

Heeley City farm or OurcowMolly to see the new lambs (see the thread on here)

Weston park museum is lovely for children and there's a park next to it, and another next to that with a decent little playground. Or it's a short walk or bus ride from the museum into town and the winter gardens and milenium gallery are good on rainy days.

The butterfly gardens are really great and an annual pass is money well spent imo.

The butterfly house is wonderful and not only for 5 year olds. Lots of chances to be up close and handle the animals.

Dont know if this is too far but Cannon hall is really good for kids. Theres a farm you can walk round with a cafe and things and you can walk down to the river and feed the ducks. And theres a ice cream van in the car park too!!! It nice so long as the weathers ok!!

Oh all this talk reminds me how fast our children grow up! Doesn't seem 2 minutes since I was doing some of the things mentioned above with my son!

We used to love Chatsworth farmyard, and also the one in Graves Park.

Is your son into trains? If so what about a trip to Yorks Railway museum? I realise that you wanted suggestions locally, but perhaps its a thought for another day...you could get the train up to York and its only a short walk to the museum.

Hope you have fun whatever you do!