Yorkshire Water

Hi all

I have just received my water bill for the upcoming year. It's £505. Now im not sure if i'm been taken for an idiot or not. Does that seem high to anybody? Im not on a meter it's based on rates. 3 Bed detached house. cheers...

Yes we just got ours and is nearly as much.

I'm annoyed that Yorkshire Water have put the Direct Debit over just 8 months instead of 12 months, making those eight payments a lot higher.

You get a choice of how many payments you want to make. I pay mine over 10 months.

As I've posted on numerous occasions on here, the first thing I did when I moved to my present house in 2002 - a larger than average three bed semi-, a family of four whose dishwasher and washing machine are rarely off - was to install a water meter.

I pay £35 per month which I think is well within reason. Certainly cheaper than what they were expecting me to pay based on our rates.

Hmm, interesting. I normally pay mine upfront in anycase. But still £505 to me seems a bit much considering my mates 4 Bed Detached isn't nearly as much! Perhaps i'm paying for my neighbours as well !

I only moved into my flat a few months ago. They gave me an option of how many months I want to pay it over and the day of the month I wanted to pay it on.

Hi there,

I'm in a 2 bed bungalow, which are notoriously higher in water rates but I'm on a water meter. I pay about £35 every quarter. That's less than I paid for my old 2 up 2 down house. I was with Severn Trent there but now I'm with Yorkshire Water.

I'd sign up to a water meter if I were you then you'll only pay for what you use.

And, Yes £505 sounds a LOT pricey to me.

All the best.

i wouldnt reccommend a water meter, we have one in our house and used to get bills in excess of £150 a quarter, but now we have had it extended and 3 bathrooms bet the bills are going to be sky high!

The customer guide that comes with the bill states ''We hope this [guide] helps you understand the service we're able to bring the majority of customers for less than £1 a day''

Apart from Lindyloo, anyone else pay less than £365 per year?

We've got a water meter, pay quarterly for our 2/3 bed semi, and the last bill was only £75 for the quarter. There's only the 2 of us there though, no kids. And we don't wash (kidding).

The customer guide that comes with the bill states ''We hope this [guide] helps you understand the service we're able to bring the majority of customers for less than £1 a day''

Apart from Lindyloo, anyone else pay less than £365 per year?

3 bed, 2 bath terrace. £242 last year.

Must be the season, as we just got ours and are in pretty much the same situation as the OP (although the bill is a bit smaller, admittedly).

In the absence of a meter, we were told the bill is estimated on the basis of the house price, adjusted yearly (1998 price adjusted onwards in our case, and they're still a mile off from its latest value, to be (un)fair). I suppose the call center meant 'rates' indeed.

I confirm that you can change the DD payments from 8 months to 10 or 12 months.