Fried Mars bar have you had one

Originally posted by BoppinBruce

Strange about Christmas puds. They do that in Scotland also, fry pudding but not just at Christmas. Like a christmas pudding. They also fry fruit pudding and white pudding.

Christmas pudding is called dumpling when fried. Black, white and fruit puddings are all fried, usually as an accompaniment to a roll and sausage (square, or lorne variety of course!). Other delicasys include the humbe potato scone, which are thinner versions of what you call potato 'farls'.

The whole mars bar thing was a bit of a novelty thing started in Glasgow when a chip shop owner read about the high heart diease rate in the west of Scotland being the higest rate on earth decided to test his theory that

"Some people will eat anything if you dip it in batter and deep fry it"

The story made the papers, other chippies stared copying it and for a short time you could get a deep fried mars bar quite easily - they have died out almost totally now - but old favourites like the deep fried pizza are still readilly available!

mmmmm.... deepfried mars bars :-) yes, they can be a bit sickly and a king size mars bar is just too much - I always thought a Bounty would be a better choice for deep frying.

And yes, we also fry fruit pudding in Scotland and have it for breakfast along with our tattie scones and square sausage... makes me homesick just thinking about it.

But for the real deep fried afficionados the best thing is a deep fried pizza from a Scottish chippy, preferably an East coast one with "sauce" on it - a mixture of brown sauce, vinegar and water or something like that - you really can't beat it!

It's funny how depending if your on the East coast or the West coast you will either be offered salt and sauce or salt and vinegar :confused:

My preference is without doubt salt and sauce :D You can buy bottles of it from some chippies. (It's made up and sold in empty glass ginger bottles, usually irn bru ones) I have tried to make my own but it's never as good. :( Have you tried a scrunchie supper? It's the pizza completely covered in batter and not just on the base. Delicious!

Originally posted by BoppinBruce

I have been to Scotland many times, although why it should be particular to that country I dont know, and never had a fried Mars bar.

Have you had one? And do you have it with chips?

NO THANKS !!! HUGE - RED

Originally posted by garydickson

mmmmm.... deepfried mars bars :-) yes, they can be a bit sickly and a king size mars bar is just too much - I always thought a Bounty would be a better choice for deep frying.

And yes, we also fry fruit pudding in Scotland and have it for breakfast along with our tattie scones and square sausage... makes me homesick just thinking about it.

But for the real deep fried afficionados the best thing is a deep fried pizza from a Scottish chippy, preferably an East coast one with "sauce" on it - a mixture of brown sauce, vinegar and water or something like that - you really can't beat it!

Could you BE any fatter?

Hey, I've lost half a stone since xmas! ;)

But unfortunately, yes, these things definitely have to be treats. Dammit, why can't lettuce taste as good???

lettuce is delicious, if you deep fry it in batter and serve with chips & a mars bar.

healthy too!

Hey, I've lost half a stone since xmas! ;)

But unfortunately, yes, these things definitely have to be treats. Dammit, why can't lettuce taste as good???

nicely done.

despite my taunts i really do fancy trying 1.......................

id like to try one , i think you can still get them from a chippy on abbeydale road , but the thought of eating one goes through me ! howevr much i love fried food and marsbars i think the combination would result in me feeling very very ill :gag:

i did have one of down skeggi 7ys ago now.i thort it was nice,but then again i do rember haveing a few drinks too befor i had one,i have not had one since has never seen no one selling them but when we go to skeggi and pass the chippy that did them i always take a look to see if they selling them again as my daughter would love to try one.. i do rember too one time near christmas they did fried mince pies ..and no i did not dare try one.

Archived