Cycling round Sheffield with little ones?

I have got a bike and want to cycling but I am a bit worried about cycling with a baby seat or trailer. How do other parents do it? Do you walk untill you get to a cycle park. I know I probably sound like a drama queen but I wouldnt dream of taking them on the roads.

I'm a bit of a wuss since I got knocked off my bike at 6 months pregnant - I now let dp do the transporting of child (who survived said accident, thank god!). We've only gone on organized recreational rides with Pedal Ready (they do them at least monthly I think). There's no way I would ride on the road with my precious little one.

I'd love to get a cycle as well, but no way would I take LittleOuija on the road, and since you can't ride on the path, it seems a bit pointless :(

Please dont put your kid on a bike on the road, be safe and drive to a park and do it. There are too many horror stories about cars and cycles not getting on. Its not worth the risk.

Yes it looks like I may have to drive to a suitable park and cycle round there.

Its a shame really. In the city where my mum is from in germany, everyone cycles to town, the zoo, the outdoor pools etc. Although its also pretty flat there too. :D

Please dont put your kid on a bike on the road, be safe and drive to a park and do it. There are too many horror stories about cars and cycles not getting on. Its not worth the risk.

No I wouldnt dream of it I just wondered what other people did as I have seen parents with little ones with bikes. Are there any parks good for cycling round safe for kids and without being in the way?

Loads of nice paths for family biking around the Clumber area, but don't do it on Sheffield's streets, it's way too risky. I used to see a bloke goign up Eccy Rd with a baby in a little trailer on the back. Not only was that baby exposed to foul, stinking fumes at that level but it was bloody dangerous.

Might be more acceptable in a cycling city like York or Oxford, but not here, too many lunatics driving.

Hilsborough park is good, Endcliffe park is a tad small for bike riding but id reccoment Graves park its huge!

We do Clumber park or Rother valley (or round Derwent/ Howden dam if feeling energetic). Hillsborough Park is ok for roundy, roundy riding but not very exciting.

The Trans Pennine Trail in Woodhouse Mill is a good start. You can get right down to Rother Valley on a wide flat path without encountering any traffic.

Guest sibon

If you can get to Endcliffe Park, you can cycle through there, through Bingham Park and up to Forge Dam. It is gently uphill on the way there as you follow the River Porter. Going back is a breeze as its all downhill. The round trip is four or five miles. It has the bonus of a lovely cafe at Forge Dam.

Edited by sibon

If you can get to Endcliffe Park, you can cycle through there, through Bingham Park and up to Forge Dam. It is gently uphill on the way there as you follow the River Porter. Going back is a breeze as its all downhill. The round trip is four or five miles.

Oh yeah i forgot about that side of the park :D