Taxing Chocolate?

Surely if you shove the tax up on chocolate, folks will just eat doughnuts instead? :huh:

I can't see how targeting one particular calorific item will make any difference. Its a bit like taxing Marlboro fags but not Benson & Hedges...

As others have said, its the eating of the stuff to excess and not moving your aris enough thats the problem. :o

My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:

i think its a good idea which may help the obesity problem in britain.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hRet3MCia7Y6Wwaeh8S-zZ3YnBUw

It may help, but it's not the right way to go about it.

Education on what you're actually putting in your mouth is far more important, as is an active lifestyle.

I admit I'm addicted, having a big bar of Cadbury's or 4 cookies a night, but my BMI states that I'm nowhere near being clinically obese.

All it's going to do is make the poor poorer.

yep just like the tax hike on tobacco, i suppose chocolate too is an addiction, perhaps they can invent a chocolate patch :thumbsup:

yep just like the tax hike on tobacco, i suppose chocolate too is an addiction, perhaps they can invent a chocolate patch :thumbsup:

I think chocolate is more moreish than it is addictive.

I like it a lot and I have it a lot, but prefer just a little bit at a time.

People are fat because they eat too much.

To sort out the problem, they should bring back rationing.

Instead of talking about taxing chocolate for it's health risks - why not LIFT the VAT on 70%+ cocoa chocolate - as that is supposed to be good for you - that would encourage more people to eat healthier chocolate?

At the end of the day, kids love chocolate as treats and most dentists will tell you that they'd rather have kids eating chocolate than boiled/sugary sweets but I guess parents will be opting for those for treats instead if chocolate goes up in price - great with lots of e-numbers to boot.

A stupid idea. But perhaps the food labelling could be clearer. The calories are there in a little table on the wrapper, but perhaps it should have a government warning on like cigarettes.

i could do with one of them but its got to do for all sweet things

chocolate, buns and biscuits they are my down fall, i dont eat a lot its just i eat too much of these, thats why i am fat

Eeek.

Why don't they just take away all our fun and be done with it.