Finding name from telephone number

Hi guys,

Just a quick question.....have had a couple of phone calls from one number (a sheffield number that is). However, no message left. When I try and phone back, no-one ever answers. Is there a way of finding out who called me from just the telephone number?

Thanks for the help

David

Originally posted by dwhl

Hi guys,

Just a quick question.....have had a couple of phone calls from one number (a sheffield number that is). However, no message left. When I try and phone back, no-one ever answers. Is there a way of finding out who called me from just the telephone number?

Thanks for the help

David

Yeah, jot down the number and take a look in the residential section of the BT phone book, it may be listed in there.

If not, it's possible the number is ex-directory, a lot of people go ex-directory to stop getting stuff like double glazing and other telesales calls.

Originally posted by dwhl

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help

David

Its possibly a sales call from Ant or similar.

Try typing the full number into google, if its a business it generally comes up. Alternatively if you dont get any look PM me with the number and I can try and find out for you. (I work for a very large phone company)

cheers.

Yes this can be done, but you would need a really good reason, not just a missed call.

You can usually tell which area a call has come from by the first two digits after the 2 (i.e. a number starting with a 39 after the 2 would more than likely be from Gleadless area.), this may narrow your search to a district. A more exact trace would have to go through the proper channels.

If you are having trouble with nuisance calls phone BT.

Originally posted by spyro2000

Its possibly a sales call from Ant or similar.

Try typing the full number into google, if its a business it generally comes up. Alternatively if you dont get any look PM me with the number and I can try and find out for you. (I work for a very large phone company)

cheers.

Spyro2000 - I know if you work for a large phone company you can probably use the address and telephone search facilities to find this information but I would strongly recommend against it. I used to support the Directory Enquiry Service for the UK's largest telphony service and I would not dream of providing this type of information. I recall the case a few years ago where a man obtained the address for his ex wife via a telecom employee and he subsequently went to the address and murdered her. Just a friendly warning.

Hmmm house phone rang the other night at 11.30pm did 1471 and jotted down the number.

Went through my phone book to see if it was anyone I know, but couldn't find it.

Anyway, phoned the number yesterday but no answer.

First 3 digits are: 248 but not sure where abouts in Sheffield that is??

My guess would be Killamarsh/Mosborough.

Originally posted by drolnhoj

Spyro2000 - I know if you work for a large phone company you can probably use the address and telephone search facilities to find this information but I would strongly recommend against it. I used to support the Directory Enquiry Service for the UK's largest telphony service and I would not dream of providing this type of information. I recall the case a few years ago where a man obtained the address for his ex wife via a telecom employee and he subsequently went to the address and murdered her. Just a friendly warning.

192.com has provided reverse lookup facilities for registered members for at least a couple of years.

It is possible but a bit expensive for just a couple of numbers.

UKInfo sell a CD with Directory and Electoral Roll information.

It was possible (the last disc I saw was a few years ago) to reverse search on these.

The cheapest is about £50 and the pro versions are over £200.

I think that some of the privatised directory inquiries were giving reverse searches but they may have been stopped.

Originally posted by Cyclone

192.com has provided reverse lookup facilities for registered members for at least a couple of years.

But not for XD so you have to be careful. As I said I was only giving a friendly warning.

Can anyone give me a clue to which area 0114 249 xxxx would be?

That would be West bar/Trippet Lane end of town...