SOYO ~ New Independent Bar opening in Sheffield!

Right. I am not stupid. I moved into town in full knowledge that there would be 'noise'. However, I was careful to pick somewhere that was not on the main strip of bars etc. We still get noise - obviously - but it has been nice to be central, but still kind of tucked away from it all. Yes it is 'City Living', but the street is very residential.

If the pub/bar trade was doing well and there were no empty plots on West Street/Division Street then I would understand the need to expand onto Rockingham Street. But that isn't the case. Bars are suffering and there are empty plots on the main strips. I don't understand why anyone would want to set up a bar on this street. They are going to have to work twice as hard as other bars to get people in. At the moment not that many people walk down Rockingham Street, so real advertising will be key.

Anyway. The bar isn't actually open yet and I have no idea what kind of bar it will be. It might even be somewhere that I like... and frequent on a regular basis. It's supposed to open this weekend (I'll be surprised if it does - it looks far from ready inside), but I guess I'll have to wait and see what the place is like.

Claret does actually have a valid point. I fail to see why a bar would open up on a backstreet when the former Yates's site still remains empty as do many other units on Division St and West St.

Rather strange business sense if you ask me, but will certainly give it a try. Let's hope it doesn't turn into Players Bar part 2!

Claret does actually have a valid point. I fail to see why a bar would open up on a backstreet when the former Yates's site still remains empty as do many other units on Division St and West St.

Rather strange business sense if you ask me, but will certainly give it a try. Let's hope it doesn't turn into Players Bar part 2!

It is a strange location. However, if I decided to open a bar, I'd think long and hard before taking over a Yates venue - imagine if the same clientele started turning up?! :gag:

It is a strange location. However, if I decided to open a bar, I'd think long and hard before taking over a Yates venue - imagine if the same clientele started turning up?! :gag:

That is an excellent point! That part of town really needs starting again, last week there was a middle aged guy urinating outside Wetherspoons... This was at about 6 o clock Friday evening

That is an excellent point! That part of town really needs starting again, last week there was a middle aged guy urinating outside Wetherspoons... This was at about 6 o clock Friday evening

Grim. Don't these people ever wake up and feel ashamed?! I'd be mortified if through a drunken haze I recalled doing something like that.

Grim. Don't these people ever wake up and feel ashamed?! I'd be mortified if through a drunken haze I recalled doing something like that.

It seems to be the norm round there.

I went out last night up around Devonshire Green and saw no trouble at all. It's saying something when the best night out is student night! And why do all girls at uni on a night out sound so posh? Maybe this new bar will hopefully attract the Vodka Rev and Bar 23 crowd and not the Walkabout/Bedroom crew!

It seems to be the norm round there.

I went out last night up around Devonshire Green and saw no trouble at all. It's saying something when the best night out is student night! And why do all girls at uni on a night out sound so posh? Maybe this new bar will hopefully attract the Vodka Rev and Bar 23 crowd and not the Walkabout/Bedroom crew!

The affected upper class student accent always makes me laugh. It's proper posh RP with a little bit of Aussie twang thrown in. As in asking questions when it's not a question? I wonder what they do when they go home? Stick with their new accent or revert to their own accent. Or throw in a bit of Sheffield to impress people?! :hihi:

The old Yates' site is quite big and on the main stretch, so the rent/rates there would be significantly higher.

Well, I wish SOYO all the best luck and hope it proves a successfull venture, I'll be getting there to try it out as soon as I can... the local press reports suggest there will be something worth drinking on the bar, which is always good news..

Could be one of many reasons, the most obvious being that Yates is pretty big and would be expensive to an independent. Backstreet = cheaper.

Opening night has now been pushed back to 21/3/2009 due to unforeseen circumstances.

Yep i just got a message this afternoon....

Due to unforeseen circumstances SOYO will be unable to open this weekend as previously planned.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies to everyone for any inconvenience this may have caused, but we hope this delay will ensure that the opening of SOYO will be worth waiting for!

OPENING NIGHT has now been rescheduled 21st March 2009!

5PM ~ LATE!

I was looking forward to it but i was told they had a nightmare few days and want to open when the venue is 100% perfect, and i personally respect the decision. Just hope its special when it does open, sheffield needs some nice new bars!

No. I did not expect noise to stop.... and I don't live in the main nightclub/pub area. In case you hadn't noticed that little of strip of Rockingham Street is mainly residential. There is Smithfield Apartments, the student apartments and some Housing Association flats. There is also a new development of mews cottage type properties around the back - just behind where this new bar will be. There are a couple of office blocks and Adnan's chicken place, but that's on the far corner, not actually on our street.

The location does't make sense. It's out of the way and will cause disturbance to the residents in the area. And before you ask, yes I did object to the Planning Application, as did others. At the time the application was being made, there were plently of available units on West Street. There's still the old Yates' bar on Division Street. It just doesn't make sense.

Well I live in Smithfields and don't see it as an issue, I see it as an exciting new night, and somewhere you can stagger home from. It's an ideal location, Bungalows and Bears are round the corner and Olive down the road so fits in nicely. Cool your boots.