Pet lion in Sheffield, 60s/70s?

sham.69er

I think someone has been pulling your leg, that is about as likely as an elephant working in a steel works.......oh hang on a minute.....

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-2521.html

"This is true".

My late husbands father, used to tell us about "Tomy Wards" Elephant, I

believe he was working in the 1920s or there about,s.

Tomy Wards was just under the Wicker, side of Spital Hill.:):):):)

• 4 years later...

At risk of getting the Micky took here I know...

Been listening to the radio today about the elephant that helped out in the scrap yard during the war... And that there were tigers about Sheffield around that time too..

Anyway some years ago my uncle told me that there was a scrap yard in Sheffield that had a lion. Ok stop laughing.

He had no reason to lie to me about it.. I'm in my 30s so not like it's some story he told me to entertain me!

Has anyone else heard of this? He's in his 60s I think so might be one for the old timers on here?

I hope it's got some truth to it otherwise I'm guna look a right berk

defo true about tony smiths lion.saw it in the tankard in ecclesfield when trevor greaves was landlord,it was only a cub then.saw it some months later in back of his car and boy had it grown,if was that big in the tankard i would have been in white bear.