Does anyone suffer from anxiety / panic attacks?

Yes, the horrible things have just come back after 6 years of freedom. They are so dreadful but have any of you considered it might be physical? Don't dismiss it as being all in your head, you have panic attacks thinking about having a panic attack but I believe the root cause is physical. It is caused by rushes of adrenaline, it is hereditary and there are lots of different 'safe' medications you can take. Don't be ashamed of them - would you be ashamed of having a migraine? See your doctor, if your doctor is unhelpful see another more sympathetic doctor.

There are literally millions of sufferers. I also don't believe that there is always a trigger. I have them when I'm relaxed and have even been woken up by them!

people, keep talking about your experiences of having anxiety/panic attacks. It will help others who think they are going crazy or don't realize other people have this problem. Most of all don't feel ashamed to admit to the way you are feeling, talking about it is good therapy.:)

i currently have a friend who is dealing with panic attacks and they have got so bad that it has escalated into depression

it has got to the point that she wont even come out the house if anyone knows of anyway i could help her overcome both problems please PM or send a message back to this.

i am always there to listen and she talked to me at first but now she wont even speak about it.

she hasnt been out the house for 5 weeks

any information appreciated

amiee xx

I have been prescribed diazepam for anxiety. I take when I REALLY need it because of it being addictive. I'm worried about taking it (not good when it's supposed to stop me worrying!) can anyone tell me what are the signs of being addicted?

• 2 months later...

Im ashamed to say I do, and I dont know why. I seemed to be alright when I was working but now Im retired, they seem to have got worse. I keep thinking that something terrible is going to happen, and it never does. Is anyone else affected in the same way ? And what did they do about it ? Ive tried relaxation tapes, and the doc gave me some tablets,which helped,but Id like to get over it myself.

Thanks so much Willman and Shiesh for your advice. And your thread,which I clicked on.Seems more people suffer from it than I thought. I realise that it is probably one or two bad situations that you have in your life,you get through them at the time,then later when they are over,you start and think about them,and you feel panicky about what you went through. I think different people deal with things in different ways, and this is probably my way of dealing with it.(In my case it was a death in the family) Dont know wether that makes sense or not. I do find one of the best ways of dealing with it,is talking about it. I have found to my surprise,that on doing this, people who I thought were really confident,arent really,and tell me that they feel the same way as me.I think one of the main things is keeping occupied,dont you ? Thanks everyone.Still open to suggestions of what worked for you.Yes, I was offered Seroxat,but turned it down,as it had had a bad press review.Seems in older people it can be a lack of Seratonin in the brain.Must get some of that. Must try St.Johns Wort,as someone suggested.

Knowing a bit more now about your particular episode..I would suggest it almost certainly does stem from your family bereavement...it is nothing to be ashamed of and I would seek medical advice from your doctor regarding treatment asap. Please don't suffer in silence.

My symptoms still come back whenever they is a family upheaval...I had an episode a couple of years ago during a home extension being built...the doctor marked my sick note as anxiety and I thought I was worried what work would think...afterall I am the class clown (always happy etc)...but to my surprise work were very supportive and it was 'time out' I needed!

Obviously you are retired and your situation is very differant...what I would recommend is a change to the norm...

Don't do routine stuff....do something differant...for me it helped. Getting off the 'wheel' for a while from work etc...obviously I still had my family to look after but just removing one section of your normal routine and doing something completely differant can help!

Good Luck

:thumbsup:

Archived