Does anyone suffer from anxiety / panic attacks?

Hi Sony,

You sound about the same age as my daughter when she started to get her attacks. Have a read of my last post above and see whether it sounds familiar. Don't give up, hang in there, there are things you can do to help yourself. It takes guts and determination, but if you've put up with it this long you've got plenty of both! First off, you're not alone, there's nothing odd about you, you've just got a problem that a lot of other people have. It's not your fault you have these attacks, so don't hide it. Some people who've never suffered may think you should 'just pull yourself together' ! I know, I've met some. But most people will be sympathetic and ready to help. So talk to people, it helps a lot. Try to identify the sorts of situations that trigger your attacks, and if you can't avoid them, you'll at least be ready for them. To be honest, you're unlikely ever to be totally free of the problem, none of us are, but you can learn to control situations and yourself and live a more or less normal life, (whatever that is!) . There are a lot of good suggestions on this thread. If you're having an attack, try to concentrate on your breathing, and slow it down;count as you breathe. You'll probably find your shoulders are pulled up and tense, make yourself lower them and relax. It sounds simple and it is, and best of all it works! Don't expect miracles, set yourself small goals, and celebrate when you achieve them. I'll shut up now, I'm starting to sound like Patience Strong;) but don't despair, try the books and the tips, if you can't get hold of the one by Trickett PM me and you can have mine.

After reading through the posts on this thread, it concerns me that so many fellow forum users suffer from depression, panic attacks and such. Perhaps we could form some sort of buddy system, so that if anyone needed someone to talk to when thinks are bad we could help a bit. I know most of us don't have any medical training but sometimes having someone to just listen might help.

It always amazes when I see such a large responses regarding anxiety and depression.

I have suffered for years now and when it is bad you can feel so alone and at despair.

What I hate about it the most is the restrictions it puts on my life.

My only weakness, I fear panic attacks more than I fear death.

I do like being alive so I build a lifestyle around that premise.

My PM box is always open if anyone needs to chat.

Gracious, here we all are!

I've had really bad bouts of depression as well, although currently ok. It's a debilitating, invisible affliction and so cruel!

I've read all the previous posts and found them very comforting (but I hope everybody's all right). I think that once you've beaten it, you always have it with you and there is a fear that it can re-surface at any time.

I've never had an immediate anxiety attack, but I think I've had a longer term breakdown - all to do with a job change a year or two ago. Thing is I didn't recognise what was happening, even when I became so withdrawn that I couldn't speak to any of my new work mates; (what a fool). I just thought that it was part of getting older, that you withdraw from things.

Talking about it helps. Posting this is a kind of therapy I think. I'm 'getting it off my chest!'

Originally posted by Deavon

Gracious, here we all are!

I've had really bad bouts of depression as well, although currently ok. It's a debilitating, invisible affliction and so cruel!

I've read all the previous posts and found them very comforting (but I hope everybody's all right). I think that once you've beaten it, you always have it with you and there is a fear that it can re-surface at any time.

I've never had an immediate anxiety attack, but I think I've had a longer term breakdown - all to do with a job change a year or two ago. Thing is I didn't recognise what was happening, even when I became so withdrawn that I couldn't speak to any of my new work mates; (what a fool). I just thought that it was part of getting older, that you withdraw from things.

Talking about it helps. Posting this is a kind of therapy I think. I'm 'getting it off my chest!'

ive had many BAD days and one of the best things that i find helps the most, is the help, love & support we can give each-other even if we dont know the one that needs help, just to be there when help is needed helps more than any pill ever can, we are people on the net talking to people we dont know and never met, but showing our support to each other is the best help/advice/support any human can give. your never alone.:thumbsup:so dont be affraid to ask.:thumbsup:

Algy, you referred to a book called "Feel the fear and do it anyway" but couldn't remember the author. It was written by Susan Jeffers.

This book turned my life around.

I never normally read books like this but for some reason picked it off the shelf in Waterstones some four years ago. I knew there was something wrong in my life but to the outside world I had everything.

I read this book and from page one, I could identify with every feeling, fear, emotion, the author wrote about. I then went to a counsellor because the book got me to the point of knowing I was the only person who could change my life and the way I thought. I was bowled over by my inner growth during the 10 counselling sessions and ended up doing a course myself in counselling skills.

within two years, I divorced my controlling husband, left our family business (I'd worked in for 17yrs) and now drive anywhere, on any busy motorway and can go down escalators (things I became fearful to do) and basically turned my fears and indecisions into action and inner strength.

I now have a new partner and laugh more than I can ever remember doing.

Anyone feeling they can't live their life the way they want to should read "Feel the Fear and do it anyway", I have recommended it to many people and all have been amazed at it's inspiration and ability to help "kick start" self change.

For the price of a bottle of wine, 3 pints of beer or a packet of fags, it's a life changing read worth every penny.

That's an inspiring story Bobbit, congratulations. I hope Sony reads it. When you're deep in despair it's difficult to pick yourself up, but it shows there are things you can do for yourself to take the first step until you can get counselling. :thumbsup:

I suffer myself and its pants isn't it

I find the best thing to do is try to think about something else because it only makes it worse if you concentrate on it (the whole viscious circle thing) but i'm sure you've heard that already.

Maybe say to yourself 'If i still feel like this in 1 min then i'll leave', i end up thinking 'well, i've done 1 min, i'll try another' and it nearly allways pays off and before you know it i am enjoying myself again.

OR

Try thinking 'If it happens it happens', i'm sure your mates would understand and at least that kinda takes away the feeling of being embarrassed as though its something you must stop happening as if your life depends on it. If you take that pressure off yourself and just accept its something you feel every now and again then you may fiind they ease on their own.

There are loads of panic groups that may be able to help and most offer 24 hour phone contact.

Failing that run home as fast as you can, lock all the doors, turn off all the lights and hide under your duvet (tried and tested!)

Good luck and i hope you feel better soon x

I too have suffered from anxiety attacks which gradually got worse over several years and I ended up on Seroxat for a year and a half. Yes my emotions were totally numbed during that time, but by then anything was better than the attacks themselves.

If I had gone to my GP sooner, I definitely think that I could have halted my slide into depression and things would probably not have become as bad as they did. The first thing my GP recommended was some robust excercise several times a week, as this apparantly encourages the production of seratonin (the stuff that makes us feel happy). However by the time I went to the Doc, I could barely get out of bed to have a wash, so I was not about to go for a jog round the park.

I successfully came off the seroxat, and took control of my life and got rid of the things that were making me feel bad (ex boyfriend for starters). Now if I get any bad feelings, I make sure that I try to relax, take it slow, lie in a nice bath with my eyes shut - generally do relaxing things.

So if you still feel bad, don't waste time in asking for help. It's hard because when you are an intelligent, outgoing human being, you feel like somehow you 'failed' if you cannot overcome it on your own.

I still sometimes get bad and irrational thoughts but the relaxation, exercise and deep breathing do seem to help. But I would not hesitate to go back to my GP if I thought I was on the slippery slope again.

I hope you manage to feel better, by whatever means you choose, and reading through the posts, its great to know that those of us who are suffering or have previously suffered, are not alone.

PANIC atticks are normal for about 4/5th of population at some time or another

the attack is basically a rush of adrenalin, which is uncontroled and unexpected

the fear of such an attack will often precipitate another

if you learn not to fear the symptoms ( which will never hurt you) they will die away generally

I've suffered from irrational panic attacks for years, I think they go hand in hand with depression. I moved to the U.S recently and the panic attacks started up adain through stress. I finally decided to go to a doctor after all these years and I found out there are loads of non - addictive medications available. Seeking medical help was the best thing I ever did. I brought up by parents who thought depression and panic attacks were self indulgent so it was very difficult to ask for help. I hope you are like most people who only suffer anxiety occasionally but if they carry on see your G.P, it's a very common problem.

Hi everyone..Ive just started having panic attacks, which were brought on by a trauma that happened 6 weeks ago. My doctor put me on diazepan (excuse spellin) and I took that for the 1st week..but then i cut it down to 1 every night, so that I could sleep. that 1st week of takin them is a blur..I dont know if it`s because of the tablets or I`ve blocked that week out?? I recently went back to the doctors (3days ago) and he has now put me on Fluoxtine (prozac), and so far apart from mild headaches and a furry tongue in the morning, I feel ok..Well ok?? Ive only had about 5 panic attacks, and that is a lot better than before. What Im wanting to know is ..do they eventually go away?? I`m not even thinking about what happened to me..and sudddenly I`m having 1, I dont really understand why.If anyone could help I`d be really gratefull...I liked the "Buddy" what was mentioned in this thread..I`d give it a go, and maybe it would help other sufferers too .