Tories to abolish minimum wage?

I have read this morning that conservative MP Christopher Chope is saying one of the first things the tories should do if they get in power is abolish the minimum wage. He says, "Before anybody accuses me of wanting to impose poverty wages, let me emphasise that I am talking about arrangements for freely consenting adults. The Government regard an income of £11,918 per year as much in excess of an employee’s personal needs. That is why a single person on that salary is required to pay no less than £1,887 in tax and national insurance, thereby effectively reducing their take-home pay to £4.82 an hour instead of the £5.73 that it is nominally".

He is also saying that it will help employers because the N I that employers pay would be less. Now regardless of what party you support what do people think about this, personally I think it is just the old tory way of looking after the employer and will lead to employers bullying people into accepting a lower rate for the job. I don't see any MPs offering to reduce their salaries.

agreed, with the tories, it dont matter who is the leader, they always look to bash the workers and keep them down. cant believe how this bunch of shysters have such a lead in the opinion polls, people should be careful and think what it was like the last time these neanderthals were in power

The problem is so many people don't remember those 18 years, they have grown to adulthood under labour and the relevant prosperity of the last few years. It scares me, if the tories win it will be back to the bad old days when the rich get all the breaks and the rest of us have to pay for it.

They will probably abolish tax credits and the pension credit too.

The problem is so many people don't remember those 18 years, they have grown to adulthood under labour and the relevant prosperity of the last few years. It scares me, if the tories win it will be back to the bad old days when the rich get all the breaks and the rest of us have to pay for it.

They will probably abolish tax credits and the pension credit too.

They would have people going back to wearing caps so they could doff them to their employer.

If the minimum wage was scrapped, I think it would make a lot of people quit work, because they could possibly earn the same money on benefits. This would create even more of a non-working "underclass"

I notice the people who say you can live comfortably on minimum wage are mainly high earners.

If the minimum wage was scrapped, I think it would make a lot of people quit work, because they could possibly earn the same money on benefits. This would create even more of a non-working "underclass"

I notice the people who say you can live comfortably on minimum wage are mainly high earners.

But how do you 'earn' money on benefits?

people should be careful and think what it was like the last time these neanderthals were in power

Not half as bad as when these pillocks were last in power, and not half as bad as it will be later this year or for generations to come - thanks again to Labour!!!! :rant::rant:

Most business leaders say thaty the minimum wage has added an extra unnecessary layer of bureaucracy that means it simply isn't cost effective for them to take on more workers. All it achieves is encourage companies to either commit fraud by paying cash in hand or recruiting foreign workers who will work for less than the minimum wage.

If the choice is a poorly-paid job or no job at all, you'd need to have a complete lack of self-respect to choose the latter.

the Tories and CBI whinged about the introduction and opposed it on the grounds it would mean fewer people employed etc etc.

When that didn't happen they changed their policy and pretended they thought it was a good idea all along.

Pathetic really, but that's Tories for you.