T-Rex in Clifton Park (Rotherham) 28th August 1971

I went, it was a bit of a non event for me. I expected so much more - It was the first and last event of its kind to be staged in the park. I thnk the council got burnt on this one as well.

Mick

Me and my wife went , we only lived a couple of streets away on Gilberthorpe Street. I don't think T Rex were headlining though but whoever it was didn't show so they did to spots. There was also a folky type, can't remember his name but he did, 'Me and Bobby McGee'. Was it Noel something?

theres a lot of misinformation on this thread ,Trex were at the height of their career at the time,the folk turn was a different night with a appearance by Stan Crowther ex Rotherham MP,the event was sold out long before the actual concert and Arthur Brown did sing Fire ..the full concert list was Terry Reid,Arthur Brown,Marmalade and T Rex ..The problem with Arthur Brown was that he wanted to come on later when it was darker,August mid summer,because he wore a flaming headress and it negated the reaction because of the light...And in answer to the OP yes I was there

I woz there!!! A goggle eyed avid live music fan! Unfortunately, my boyfriend of the time (who was dumped on the day and shall remain nameless) had decided that taking a 'loving' young lady he just happened to meet to her flat which just happened to be opposite the park was more fun lol!

theres a lot of misinformation on this thread ,Trex were at the height of their career at the time,the folk turn was a different night with a appearance by Stan Crowther ex Rotherham MP,the event was sold out long before the actual concert and Arthur Brown did sing Fire ..the full concert list was Terry Reid,Arthur Brown,Marmalade and T Rex ..The problem with Arthur Brown was that he wanted to come on later when it was darker,August mid summer,because he wore a flaming headress and it negated the reaction because of the light...And in answer to the OP yes I was there

very true, it was packed when we went and T Rex were top of the bill

So was I, the crowd was poor 60% if that of what was expected. Mark Bolan was totally disinterested and they had peaked and were on the way down to anonymity, if he had lived, he would be in the same frame as Billy J Kramer, The Troggs, etc etc, several hit wonders. He would be flogging himself round doing 70s revival gigs. Over rated.

and they had peaked and were on the way down to anonymity,

What a load of garbage;

In September 1971, T. Rex released their second album Electric Warrior, which featured Currie and Legend. Often considered to be their best album, the chart-topping Electric Warrior brought much commercial success to the group; publicist BP Fallon coined the term "T. Rextasy" as a parallel to Beatlemania to describe the group's popularity. The album included T. Rex's best-known song, "Get It On", which hit number one in the UK. In January 1972 it became a top ten hit in the US, where the song was retitled "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" to distinguish it from a 1971 song by the group Chase. Along with David Bowie's early hits, "Get It On" was among the few British glam rock songs that were successful in the US.[9] However, the album still recalled Bolan's acoustic roots with ballads such as "Cosmic Dancer" and the stark "Girl". Soon after, Bolan left Fly Records; after his contract had lapsed, the label released the album track "Jeepster" as a single without his permission. Bolan went to EMI, where he was given his own record label in the UK—T. Rex Records, the "T. Rex Wax Co.".

Yup, I was there, can anyone remember the Hells Angels that turned up, they just got on the top of a van and boogied:headbang::banana:

And to the previous posters who said Bolan was finished, I never was a big fan of T-Rex but that night he was awesome.

What a load of garbage;

In September 1971, T. Rex released their second album Electric Warrior, which featured Currie and Legend. Often considered to be their best album, the chart-topping Electric Warrior brought much commercial success to the group; publicist BP Fallon coined the term "T. Rextasy" as a parallel to Beatlemania to describe the group's popularity. The album included T. Rex's best-known song, "Get It On", which hit number one in the UK. In January 1972 it became a top ten hit in the US, where the song was retitled "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" to distinguish it from a 1971 song by the group Chase. Along with David Bowie's early hits, "Get It On" was among the few British glam rock songs that were successful in the US.[9] However, the album still recalled Bolan's acoustic roots with ballads such as "Cosmic Dancer" and the stark "Girl". Soon after, Bolan left Fly Records; after his contract had lapsed, the label released the album track "Jeepster" as a single without his permission. Bolan went to EMI, where he was given his own record label in the UK—T. Rex Records, the "T. Rex Wax Co.".

Comparing Bolan to the Beatles is like comparing a gnat to an elephant, he was a simpering, untalented, painted effected plonker, who could strum rather than play his instrument.

Before his death he was washed up, think Adam Ant, but not as funny.

Comparing Bolan to the Beatles is like comparing a gnat to an elephant, he was a simpering, untalented, painted effected plonker, who could strum rather than play his instrument.

Before his death he was washed up, think Adam Ant, but not as funny.

T Rex were not compared to the Beatles........the term T Rextasy was used as a comparison to the term Beatlemania...........comparing the 2 different terms is not the same as comparing the 2 different acts,but your agenda is clear,so much so that it led you to write the nonsense that you did previously.

To be fair to him he came up with about half a dozen great singles (Jeepster, Ride A White Swan, Children of the Revolution, Deborah, etc) and 2 good LPs (Electric Warrior and The Slider) before he burned out. He did though write some of the naffest lyrics ever till Oasis formed and made him sound like Dylan.

I was there,as I remember it Arthur brown was fantastic and t rex were poor and they were booed by many of the crowd.