Living in Sheffield and working in London

hey guys and gals, do you think its possible to live here in sheffield and have a full time 9-5 job in london, travelling everyday by train

do you know people who are doing it? i have been offered a job in london but dont want to move from sheffield, the job pays well

what shall i do? :confused:

i did it for six months. it's not that hard, nor expensive with an annual.

but a cheaper option might be to take a room at hostel in London.

(no i don't mean a youth hostel. there are hostels offering single rooms for working folk in London for people exactly like samspade)

i did it for six months. it's not that hard, nor expensive with an annual.

but a cheaper option might be to take a room at hostel in London.

(no i don't mean a youth hostel. there are hostels offering single rooms for working folk in London for people exactly like samspade)

you did it for 6 months, i have just been offered a fulltime job so it will be difficult to do it for years and years then? :(

my contract was for 6 months.

why don't you move down to London then?

it worked for me as i negotiated abbreviated hours in the office (usually 11am to 5pm) and did a fair bit of work during the actual journey.

If you are able to then I would move to London for a bit. It is a brilliant place to live - a proper world city. You may not get another opportunity to do it.

I moved there for 2 years and ended up staying for 8.5, and loved every minute. I also love Sheffield though, so visited regularly and am now living back here.

my pal lives in doncaster and travles top london on mondays comes back on friday night stays in rented rooms the week cost in about £95pw for room plus meals but works for him but can you aford the travel with train fairs going up every year

No real experience of this sort of thing but I can't see how it would be humanly possible to live in Sheffield and work 9-5 in London. When you arrived at St Pancras or Kings Cross you would then have to get to your place of work which is another stressor. You might be able to sustain it for a short (very) period but your work life balance would be ludicrously lopsided. You shouldn't underestimate how tired you would be on a daily basis.

I suppose you could be a super person surviving on little sleep and adrenalin.

Why not rent somewhere Monday-Thursday and travel back on Friday or better still move to London.

It's one of the regrets of my life that I haven't spent at least 2 years living in London, I'm now retired.

Depends how close you live to the train station in Sheffield and how close your place of work is to St Pancras.

The train journey takes a little over 2 hours.

At rush hour travelling across Sheffield can take longer than an hour.

If I lived within walking distance of Sheffield train station and my place of work was within walking distance of St Pancras I would say it could be done.

But if you have a lot of travelling to do both ends of the journey, before you get on and then when you get off, the train I would find it very difficult to do long term.

Much better to find a B&B or somewhere to stay during the week.

lot of travelling - early mornings and back late everyday.

Depending where you live, Train from Doncaster might work out quicker.

but you gonna need a lot of cash !

hey guys and gals, do you think its possible to live here in sheffield and have a full time 9-5 job in london, travelling everyday by train

do you know people who are doing it? i have been offered a job in london but dont want to move from sheffield, the job pays well

what shall i do? :confused:

No it isn't.

I worked in SW London for a while and it was a case of travelling down Monday and back on Thursday.

Even Birmingham which I did for a fortnight on the train was a killer, I ended up staying in Brum every other night, otherwise I was just like a zombie (apart from the brain eating).

If you moved to Doncaster or Retford you might be able to make it work, the train is much faster.

that's one of the little annoyances of living in Sheffield. Doncaster is indeed a way better starting point for a London commute.

No.

You would be on the train for 5:30 in a morning and wouldn't be home until around 8:00 at night.