VHS is NOT Dead...

goldenfleece

Analogue, if it aint broke don't fix it.

No-one said it was broke, and nobody is fixing it. Get a decent LCD or Plasma, with a decent source, then come back and tell us your CRT is still better. You wont, because it isnt.

And VHS is dead - the fact you cant get machines or tapes any more is pretty much the definition. This is not me saying you have to bin all your tapes now, i'm sure some people will be very happy with their VHS for years to come, (like my gran) and I have no problems with that. Your tapes will deteriorate though over time, you've done well to keep some of them for 20 years! So you must be looking after them well.

My neighbours have a plasma screen TV and it sucks......its ok when nothing is moving on screen, very sharp, but any movement and the image goes distinctly blurry and odd looking.....

yes analogue is cool.......my video projector 'upsamples' VHS native resolution to 1080 standard, and it looks pretty good....my only issue is the colour bleed on reds and yellows....and the slightly softer focus, but in terms of clarity and depth its very warm and comfortable to watch........

I ran one of fave films ALIENS last night on VHS from a 7 year old 16:9 Analogue ITV broadcast recording and it looked superb.....in fact I prefer it to the Dvd version I have which is decidedly paler in colour and only has the advantage of Dolby Digital Sound....however, VHS hi-fi stereo run thro a Pro_logic decoder is as close as you can get to pure digital sound in my opinion.....I was blown away......

VHS is not dead and it does not deserve to die.....Some of my earliest VHS tapes from 1980 are still very much perfect on playback.....

By the way I use a SHARP VC-MH704 made in about 2002, it was one of the best machines at the time in WHICH magazine, and still amazing quality recording and playback...here is one.....superb machines and solidly built and blow the pants off many other VHS machines...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sharp-VC-MH704-VHS-VCR_W0QQitemZ270289362131QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270289362131&_trkparms=72%3A1300|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

All plasmas made pre-2006 are terrible. New ones are much better but LCDs are much better. I have a Toshiba 42X3030D 42" 1080p LCD from 2007 and a Toshiba 37AVwhateverthenewmodeliscalled 37" 720p LCD from the new 2008 range and love them both very much.

Your projector, in almost all probability, will have a higher than standard definition resolution. My old projector which I had to sell and replace with an LCD due to moving house and it not being practical was an old Panasonic AE-300 that was native at something like 960x540, much wider than CRT widescreens for pixel count, and I got that five years ago and it wasn't even a top-end model then. Because of its digital precision, digital stuff doesn't scale well. A digital source running on a hi-res output device will look worse. If your projector displayed at exactly 720x576 (DVD resolution) I can guarantee you DVD would look better. Go above this (or, to a lesser extent, below it) and it won't.

You can demonstrate this easily with a couple of computer monitors. Get a CRT monitor and put it at its 'native' resolution, and it looks lovely. Drop it down a resolution and it still looks lovely and sharp. You lose a tiny bit of minor detail and everything on the screen gets a bit bigger, but it still looks lovely. Now get a decent LCD monitor and put it on native resolution and it looks better than anything the CRT can display. Now knock it down by a single notch, and you have a horrible, stretched, blocky and pixellated mess. Digital is great, as long as you're on 1:1. And if you're not, it isn't.

No-one said it was broke, and nobody is fixing it. Get a decent LCD or Plasma, with a decent source, then come back and tell us your CRT is still better. You wont, because it isnt.

And VHS is dead - the fact you cant get machines or tapes any more is pretty much the definition. This is not me saying you have to bin all your tapes now, i'm sure some people will be very happy with their VHS for years to come, (like my gran) and I have no problems with that. Your tapes will deteriorate though over time, you've done well to keep some of them for 20 years! So you must be looking after them well.

The 'decent source' is the key though. For people with no interest in playing 360 or PS3 games or watching Blu-Ray films, as long as 99% of broadcast TV is in standard definition there really isn't much reason to upgrade.

Well why does freeview TV look so awful thro my projector? Its fuzzy and lots of digital 'blocks' appear all the time.....this is very true of most channels other than ITV and BBC which are ok, the rest look like very poor quality VHS on a bad day.....and its a new freeview tuner, a good one at that with external roof antenna....

digital version of Channel 4 looks a bit naff and jerky compared to the standard analogue broadcast version I can also still receive.....

You have a 10ft wide screen??? Blimey!

normal 16:9 TV is about 7 ft wide.....the screen is only filled to each edge (10ft) when running a 2:35.1 full widescreen DVD movie....its awesome....

I deliberarely build the system so that I never got a dreadful 'letterbox' image with black bars on the top and bottom, but like a standard cinema screen, all ratios, be it old fashioned 4:3 mode, TV widescreen 16:9, or movie widescreen 2:35.1 (Scope) are at the same 4ft height....so no black bars, well horizontal ones anyway....the image just expands each side..

Well why does freeview TV look so awful thro my projector? Its fuzzy and lots of digital 'blocks' appear all the time.....this is very true of most channels other than ITV and BBC which are ok, the rest look like very poor quality VHS on a bad day.....and its a new freeview tuner, a good one at that with external roof antenna....

digital version of Channel 4 looks a bit naff and jerky compared to the standard analogue broadcast version I can also still receive.....

high compression due to limited bandwidth. When the analogue is switched off it should free up enough to get a decent and strong digital signal in most places.

But don't quote me on that in 2012....

Low bandwidth signals. They're compression artifacts that you don't really see on analogue.

Most decent LCDs have close to 180 degree viewing. They also have the advantage of not being made of glass and thus not doubling up as a blinding mirror whenever the sun turns up.

Never had a CRT TV that acted anything like a mirror. I think you made that up.;)

If you start to get a bit of interference on an analogue TV signal what do you see? a picture with a bit of interference.

A bit more interference = a picture with a bit more interference

A little bit more interference = a picture with a little bit more interference

A lot more interference = a picture with a lot more interference

Loads of interference = a picture with loads of interference.

Still a picture though...

If you start to get a bit of interference on a digital TV signal what do you see?

BUGGER ALL!!! :hihi: