VHS is NOT Dead...

goldenfleece

Well you cant buy new machines any more AFAIK, everyone has DVD and hard disk recorders now, but recently I re-connected up my old Sharp VCR (well, its 5 years old so I guess thats ancient), and runnig n it through my home cinema projector and upsampling to 1080 resolution, I was quite stunned by the quality. OK, it was a bit fuzzy when it came to sharp edges and colour 'bleed', but VHS still stands up even on a 10ft wide screen!!!!! Watching all my old 1998-2005 Sky movies recordings lately and been quite satisfied with the quality, and the hi-fi sound is as good as DVD in the main.....good job as still got about 300 VHS tapes and not about to bin them as they are better than I thought....

is VHS dead????? Does it deserve to die? I can still quite comfortably watch it on a big screen, so it must be fairly good, and none of the digital 'blocking' (digital data noise) )you always get on DVD's that really does annoy me sometimes.....

I guess Blu ray and all that new stuff has laid VHS to rest for good?

You have a 10ft wide screen??? Blimey!

I still think all the digital hype is happening TOOO fast, for example a decent analogue signal on a traditional CRT television is far superior to an LCD on a digital signal in my opinion.

Give over.

I still think all the digital hype is happening TOOO fast, for example a decent analogue signal on a traditional CRT television is far superior to an LCD on a digital signal in my opinion.

Damn right it is.:thumbsup:

Of course it is, because a digital signal is still running in a standard resolution. A 720x576 output is going to look better on a 720x576 TV than a 1280x720 or 1920x1080 one, that's just common sense. But if you get BBC HD through your digibox or have a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player then they're worlds apart. 1:1 always looks better than x:1. But as long as it's 1:1, the bigger 1 is the better.

Not to mention the issue of the limited veiwing angle of LCD monitors/TVs, something that CRTs don't suffer from.

Not to mention the issue of the limited veiwing angle of LCD monitors/TVs, something that CRTs don't suffer from.

Most decent LCDs have close to 180 degree viewing. They also have the advantage of not being made of glass and thus not doubling up as a blinding mirror whenever the sun turns up.

Most decent LCDs have close to 180 degree viewing. They also have the advantage of not being made of glass and thus not doubling up as a blinding mirror whenever the sun turns up.

Yes but with a weakening of the contrast the steeper the angle you view from,again something CRTs do not suffer from.

Analogue, if it aint broke don't fix it. 70 years in the making and soon to be scrapped.

My neighbours have a plasma screen TV and it sucks......its ok when nothing is moving on screen, very sharp, but any movement and the image goes distinctly blurry and odd looking.....

yes analogue is cool.......my video projector 'upsamples' VHS native resolution to 1080 standard, and it looks pretty good....my only issue is the colour bleed on reds and yellows....and the slightly softer focus, but in terms of clarity and depth its very warm and comfortable to watch........

I ran one of fave films ALIENS last night on VHS from a 7 year old 16:9 Analogue ITV broadcast recording and it looked superb.....in fact I prefer it to the Dvd version I have which is decidedly paler in colour and only has the advantage of Dolby Digital Sound....however, VHS hi-fi stereo run thro a Pro_logic decoder is as close as you can get to pure digital sound in my opinion.....I was blown away......

VHS is not dead and it does not deserve to die.....Some of my earliest VHS tapes from 1980 are still very much perfect on playback.....

By the way I use a SHARP VC-MH704 made in about 2002, it was one of the best machines at the time in WHICH magazine, and still amazing quality recording and playback...here is one.....superb machines and solidly built and blow the pants off many other VHS machines...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sharp-VC-MH704-VHS-VCR_W0QQitemZ270289362131QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270289362131&_trkparms=72%3A1300|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14