The Olive Grove

The lads and myself were discussing the Olive Grove last night and we could not agree as to when it was built, I thought it had been up around fifty years but someone said it had been up for just forty years. So doe anyone on the Forum know as to when it was opened.

It was built over 42 years ago as me and my husband went in 1966 and it wasn't new then.

Don't know when it was built but I would think around the mid 1950's.

I started going in there around 1964 and it certainly was not new then.

I played the organ in there in the 1970's and the landlord & landlady were George & Jenny Parker - lovely couple - their daughter was called Maureen.

The regulars were a great crowd and we had many great nights in there in those days.

It was built just over 50 years ago. Bulit on the site of a bomb crater. At the time I lived 5 doors above the pub. I went in the pub on the opening night so must have been 18 ?? I called in last year and it's gone down the hill as have many pubs. Not impressed.

We used to go in late 1960's up to 1970, had our engagement "do" there in 1968, just met up with family for drinks so nothing extravagant!

There used to be a guy who played the organ and another who played the drums and they always played "Yellow Submarine" where the drummer used to "go off on one", used to crease me up everytime he did it.

It proves that we didn't expect much for entertainment in those days!

....and, if it's the pub at the foot of East Bank Road, I think it's another gonner....

Used to go in the late 60s on a Thursday night. There used to be a disc on and it was the place to be then. Sadly not any more.

Used to go in the late 60s on a Thursday night. There used to be a disc on and it was the place to be then. Sadly not any more.
ye the disco nights were monday and thursday nights , it was ALAN DALE the DJ i remember it well even though i wernt sober very often haha , i also remember tony the organ player we had some great nights in the olive grove went in there lots in the 1960s and yes george and jenny landlord and landlady were very nice couple made everyone so welcome , i would say the olive was built about 1960 .