Sheffield's Sewer Pipe Network

As I drove through town today, my mind began wondering.

I found myself asking strange smelly questions, such as would it be possible to walk Sheffields sewers from one end of the city to another (for example, from Lowedges to Chapeltown). What is this unchartered underground world like?

It must be a strange "how do you do" down there - for example, could you hear the outside world? (from traffic driving over loose manhole covers, dripping taps, to the distant sounds of a flushing loo).

Has any forum member ever had the honour of venturing into Sheffield's undergound network of sewerage pipes and if so, can they describe their experiences?

Also... has anyone got a map? I'm fancying a scuttle around, down below.... in the murky depths.

i've been there about 15yrs ago!!! however, you couldn't walk that far out, as the pipes will be much too small. not much to describe, tho.

Don't know about the sewers, but I'd love to explore the underground tunnel network.

There are some big underground culverts in Sheffield that have been done by urbexers. The freshwater ones I've done in Manchester and Warrington are good, but pretty similar after a while.

This would actually be....one of my WORST ever nightmares!!!:o Ever since someone put the lid on a manhole cover, while I was down there on a dare, when they were building new road Norton! Like Arrrrgh!

Yes I think it would be possible though, the main sewer's are about six foot the mega big one's even more I guess. You should ask someone who works for Yorkshire Water I guess?

Absolutely! I would love to go down and explore, get this fear out of my head, as have a recurring nightmare about the sewer/ pipes/ water under Sheffield market's, don't know why? Just do!:hihi:

So where are the big pipes then? i.e the main arteries? are they like, under main roads?

Don't know about the sewers, but I'd love to explore the underground tunnel network.

Hi Digsy, Which underground tunnel network??

There are tunnels all over Sheffield.

Tunnels for what? Coal mining roads, sewerage 'tunnels' or mythical tunnels that are supposed to lead you from manor lodge to Sheffield Castle - that's what I was asking!

Cable tunnels for one. the steel works around sheffield all needed alot of power so there was a mesh of tunnels from power stations to these factories.

there are tunnels under castle market and westbar police station. old mines, sewers you name it, there are loads.

I wouldn't advise anyone to venture into sewers or storm culverts without a gas monitor and escape sets, i know i sound like a kill joy but the dangers are very real and people die in those environments every year.