Pet Foods Manufacturers - I didn't know

I've just changed to bodyshop shampoo etc thinking it was not tested on animals.Is this wrong?
As far as I know, a product can state it's not tested on animals if it's not been tested on them in the last x number of years (which may be 5 or 8, I can't remember), but I heard that they design their products, test them, then store them for this time so they can then label them as not tested on animals

I was going to start a thread on this so glad it's already been done.

ALL pet owners should be aware of pet food experiements-I'm not getting all high and mighty about animal testing because I (like most of us) with not think twice about popping a parocetamol and current legislation requires that ALL drugs released in the UK must have been tested on animals before human trials begin (usually rodents/rabbits) and on a least one large, non-rodent species (typically dog/monkey=1000's of animals per drug).

However, as many of us will be animal lovers it's important to be aware of which cosmetic products are tested on animals. We can all learn to be a bit wiser and more considerate when shopping for pet food/cosmetics.

As far as I know, a product can state it's not tested on animals if it's not been tested on them in the last x number of years (which may be 5 or 8, I can't remember), but I heard that they design their products, test them, then store them for this time so they can then label them as not tested on animals

There is a BIG grey area :-

If a new company starts up, and uses the same chemicals that another (who admits to testing on animals) use . They don't bother testing on animals but rely upon the results of the first company.

It is important check the labels. "Not Tested on Animals" and "Product and Ingredients" not tested on animals is shown on a lot of labels now.

lets be honest most people don't actually read what is in the food they eat themselves, let alone what they give to their pets.yuk

Are the people that wont use ANY products that are tested on animals strict vegans then? Im uneducated when it comes to this sort of thing and will be looking at the uncaged website to learn more.

However I know people that wont use products tested on animals such as pet food but yet they never check whether the makeup they use is tested or things like that or whether the chicken they are eating had a bad life before it was killed for a sunday dinner etc.... Do you see what I mean? To me if I was going to do one thing against animal rights then I would have to go the whole hog and become a vegan, not wear tested makeup or household products or anything.

I know vegetarians who feed their dogs raw rather than feed them commerical pet food because of the animal testing

Vegitarians don't eat any meat (lamb/steak/chicken/pork) although some will eat fish, wheras vegan's (are supposed to!!) not eat any meat or anything dirived from an animal (eggs/milk/cheese etc) and not wear/use anything derived from an animal (i.e. no leather).

Personally, I'm not either, even though I love animals if I became a vegitarian I'm sure there would not be one less turkey killed for Christmas!!!:hihi:

No point still eating any form of meat when you dont use things tested on animals.

To me people should be vegans or forget about sticking up for animals rights. Otherwise there is no point.

Although there are issues with the way some animals are treated on farms have you actually ever been on a cow/dairy farm? I grew up around farms and the fresian milk cows were treated like royalty!!!! Yes there are bad sides with this industry as any others and things could certainly be improved-but I'd quite happily eat an animal which has had a good life over wearing makeup which animals have been TORTURED for any day!