IT/Computer job advice please.

vidster

I got into the IT world 3 years ago after leaving the forces. I'd done an MCSE course as part of my resettlement package and got an MCP in Windows XP (I got IT work before taking any other exams). I got my first job doing simple rollout work for £14 p/h ie taking out old PC's and putting in new stuff! This lead to further contracts leading teams of engineers on other rollouts. Many of these engineers had no IT qualifications whatsoever and didn't know their PS2 connectors from USB!! After a 7 month stint doing independant IT support for a large company, I've now moved into an even more lucrative role and the future is rosy!

The bottom line here is that you don't necessarily need IT qualifications to get into the IT world, just be prepared to start at the bottom (eg rollout monkey @£10-£15 p/h) and work you way up. I have many colleagues who have no IT qualifications whatsoever!

The bottom line here is that you don't necessarily need IT qualifications to get into the IT world, just be prepared to start at the bottom (eg rollout monkey @£10-£15 p/h) and work you way up. I have many colleagues who have no IT qualifications whatsoever!

Sounds perfect to me. I do still have some time before the trade is dead in the water for me i hope. That should give me time to start gathering intel and qualifications.

i am a self employed Joiner. As everyone knows the construction industry is now on it's backside and it seems harder and harder to find work.

Therefore i am thinking of changing jobs. I have been thinking for ages and computers are the only thing that keeps popping up in my head.

Funny... i'd have thought that a "trade" was far more lucrative than IT work. I guess the grass is always greener, etc... :(

Funny... i'd have thought that a "trade" was far more lucrative than IT work. I guess the grass is always greener, etc... :(

It can be when we get a decent run on a job. Last year we had a 7 month run which was bliss. For the last few months we have only had scraps of work. We keep in touch with quite a few other joiners. They are in a similar position as we are.

• 5 months later...

I find myself in a similar position to Vidster - work dried up due to recession. I was considering a CompTIA certification, but now I think I'll read the books that guide you/prepare you for the exams and apply that knowledge in practice.

My reason for posting is to ask - what's 'Rollout work' :confused:

It can be when we get a decent run on a job. Last year we had a 7 month run which was bliss. For the last few months we have only had scraps of work. We keep in touch with quite a few other joiners. They are in a similar position as we are.

http://www.ecsrecrutment.com

Ask if they have any PC rollout jobs it's a good place to start are any thing, if you can get your foot in the door and work your way up from there. You may only get the odd week to start with but it's worth a try. Try other agencies as well, you may have to chase a few times though. I've known them employ people just to put PC's on desk and cable up but it could be a start.

I have been employed by 4 companies so far, iv gone into IT straight after finishing collage and worked my way up without any formal qualifications. Now im 23, loaded and everyone wants me to work for them :)

If you have the motivation you can succeed in any career you like!