Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

At the bottom of Wadsley lane next to the Park Hotel,I purchased my first vehicle from a chap who's name I forget. He ran a small used car operation from his drive and my vehicle was a green coloured Ford Thames van. Me and dad bought it for £35 deposit and £5 a month over 12 months with no interest so it cost the princely sum of £95

His name was something like Mr.Wild (unsure though)

I have been left Sheffield years but I believe the buisness was still going probably to the 80s.

Edited by arrodbo
missed word

...His name was something like Mr.Wild (unsure though)....
Your memory is good - the 1968 and 1973 directories show "Jack Wild & Son, motor car dealers" at 30 Wadsley Lane, next to the Park Hotel..:)

You were lucky Phil,one fault was that the petrol pipe came off the carb and set the lot on fire,also the front shocker would seize up and break away from the chassis and the front of the car would break off when it hit the road.If you were overweight then the drivers seat would break in half if you pushed the brake pedal too hard.You had a blessing in disguise.

Reminiscences on Ernest Garnett, hairdresser

I used to be sent to him clutching my shilling for a short back and sides in the 50`s. The stuffed pike always remains in the memory, and the budgie in the cage.

He always placed a plank over the arms of his chair for the kids so they would be higher, and always wore that brown overall.

He was quite gruff and monosyllabic as I recall. I remember some of the conversations with his regulars. One day the budgie cage was empty

" Where`s t budgie Ernie "

"Wednesday lost Satdy .......buggered it .............."

" See that sitter Ellis missed Satdy Ernie "

" Aye .......great streak a whitewesh ............"

...He was quite gruff and monosyllabic as I recall. ..."
He sure was. And he would poke your head with the pointed end of his scissors if he wanted you to turn. I don't remember the budgie - maybe it was before my time. As far as I remember, the conversation usually revolved aorund fishing, but he never seemed interested in hearing about the tiddlers I'd caught in Hillsborough Park pond. Eric Leslie's drawing shows the layout of the shop a little different from how I remember it, but the pike looks fierce enough...

yes, the pike was lower down.

I have not read all 18 pages here, but, if there are any unanswered questions on these shops, my mothers memory is still good at 98 and it goes back 80 years !! She remembers all the shops, in order, the people who ran them.

For example, Chapmans the butchers, at about no. 26. Mr Chapman had not been seen for a few days and when my Dad and the police broke in he was hanging on a meat hook in the cellar, they had to cut him down, but, too late.

A little scruffy kid with his cap all askew was a regular at my Dad`s shop with his mother who kept telling him he had to be polite to the mester ....that was Roy Hattersley.

Years ago, all the shops were open until 9 p.m. , and 10 p.m. on saturdays. People would have their tea, then go shopping ( no tele !! )

yes, the pike was lower down.

I have not read all 18 pages here, but, if there are any unanswered questions on these shops, my mothers memory is still good at 98 and it goes back 80 years !! She remembers all the shops, in order, the people who ran them.

For example, Chapmans the butchers, at about no. 26. Mr Chapman had not been seen for a few days and when my Dad and the police broke in he was hanging on a meat hook in the cellar, they had to cut him down, but, too late.

A little scruffy kid with his cap all askew was a regular at my Dad`s shop with his mother who kept telling him he had to be polite to the mester ....that was Roy Hattersley.

Years ago, all the shops were open until 9 p.m. , and 10 p.m. on saturdays. People would have their tea, then go shopping ( no tele !! )

Does your mom remember any of the people who lived at the bottom of Dykes Hall Road in the 1950/60s ?

Hi aramis - my memory goes back almost 60 years but your mother will be able to remember shopkeepers who were already quite old in the early 1950s, such as Mrs Rose Simons of Hillsborough Home Supplies, John Moule the pikelet baker and Gladys Yarrow of the paper shop on the corner of Dykes Hall Road - still a newsagents.

I had quite forgotten about Mr Chapman, but I remember our neighbour Mrs Watson telling us about this. The 1925 directory shows "Joseph Henry Chapman, butcher" at No 22 (which became Martins dry cleaners). The G.R.O. index shows that he died in April-June 1937, aged 59.

Glad to hear my memory is correct regarding the pike. I think Eric Leslie would have remembered the layout of the shop, but it was better to rearrange things when composing his drawing. Here is a sketch-plan of the shop as far as I recall. The barber's chair naturally faced the mirror and sink which was on the back wall. Under the front window was a long bench, of the bentwood, curved back & seat type with a pattern of small holes in the seat, and there were more chairs on the right-hand side of the shop. The pike was in the corner opposite the door, possibly on a shelf across the corner as I show it. Memories!

Edited by hillsbro