Is it anti social to not to want to car share?

Just to add; I'd gladly give a person a lift to wherever I was going should they be going a) to the same place and b) at the same times and are happy to come and go as I am doing.

I'm with you on this one Frank Sidney I'm retired now,when I worked I used the bus to and from work, then I payed for lessons and learned to drive. I always made it plain I'd give anyone a lift if they left at the same time as me, and I wouldn't wait for anyone, I know how much bitchyness went off with other people who expected other's to wait around for them.

I own a car, but very rarely car share. I mean, I will give people lifts if their plans fit in with mine etc, but I wouldnt go miles out the way to do so unless I have the time, of course.

Besides, all passengers have to go on my roof rack :D

There is a distinction between car sharing and giving people a lift. I car share, I actually pick up a work colleague en route to work. He saves £60 pcm on bus fares and I save the same as he has a parking sticker for the car park at work.

I give people lifts who are going to the same place as I on a regular basis, meetings, social functions, fencing competitions, etc.

I don't expect payment for the lifts but I do expect to be financially better off for the car sharing.

I'm with you on this one Frank Sidney I'm retired now,when I worked I used the bus to and from work, then I payed for lessons and learned to drive. I always made it plain I'd give anyone a lift if they left at the same time as me, and I wouldn't wait for anyone, I know how much bitchyness went off with other people who expected other's to wait around for them.

Exactly. It's only the same as I'd expect to treat others. If I had a lift with someone, I would expect to go along with whatever they did, when they did it. So therefore, that's why I'd expect the same back. Well done on learning to drive:thumbsup:

I car share on my daily work commute (as the car owner).

Why?

• I get a contribution towards the costs
  • If it means the other person doesn't have to get a car, that's great (environmental concern)
  • It's a nice thing to do to help someone out

It's not about the social thing, though it is nice to have someone to chat to.

It's very nice for greenies to claim the moral high ground by not having a car. The cost of occupying the moral high ground is having to use public transport all the time, spending time at bus stops in the rain and railway stations when trains are delayed, or paying through the nose for taxis. I admire those who stick to their principles and bear the cost, however much I disagree with them.

I have no patience or respect for those who claim the moral high ground and then expect family and friends to act as free or cheap taxi services.

We own more than one car and nobody except family is hardly ever in them.

Paying for petrol was mentioned. I believe it is illegal to accept any fee and even worse ...

What happens if you have a bad accident??

Don't think for one minute that that casual acquaintance / fair-weather buddy / lift-hustler isn't going to claim off your insurance and send it skyrocketing, if they get even the slightest twinge of 'whiplash'. Let the bus take them!

Paying for petrol was mentioned. I believe it is illegal to accept any fee and even worse ...

I checked my insurance small print.

Accepting a payment towards cost is fine, charging more to make profit would invalidate it.

I think the problem here is the people who expect lifts.

When my bowling league was celebrating its 50th year on our way home we saw a member stood at the bus-stop. We knew we had to go near town so asked where he lived so at the very least could offer part of the way. Found out he was only 5mins of our route so took him home. I didn't have to do this could have left him in the cold rain, but I see him every week during the season so thought it was nice. I don't have the chance during the season as I catch the bus.

He didn't expect a lift so was nice. Now i could ask for a lift of my brother every week, but don't as he has to drive across the city. If offered i accept but I never ask.

I have made a personal choice to buy a car, as I believe I need it for my life style, and other people choose not to own a car, due possibly to their believes.

I personally think cost does not come into it as you can purchase a car for £200, however I really hate to give lifts to people who through their own believes do not own a car.

My car (I believe is for me to transport me and members of my family around). I like to meet people in social places such as pubs or at work, or sporting activitys etc…. but for me a car, its my own personal space.

You also tend to find the people who forever want lifts, very annoying especially the environmental types.

I'm in a car sharing scheme at work which allows to you to take turns driving with someone else doign a similar journey. When I got a matched offer and realised who it was, the thought of spending early mornings in a car with them was just too much to bear and I haven't responded. Very anti-social of me I know but ....meh!

A group of us are going to London for a day, and sadly some in the group haven't got a car, and its always the bath dodgers who don't own cars, never the tasty blonde (she normally drives an Audi TT).

Its the expectation that someone should be lumbered, ie, the waiting for them, the going out of your way, the fact that you can't pull into a service station at a time of your choosing and have a relaxing coffee, the fact you have to make never ending small talk about c*ap for 3 hours, the fact that if you do it once, the floodgates open and now its expected..... ITS A NIGHTMARE !!!!!

I went to Blackpool and the nieces and nephews came back in my car, and for nearly 2 hours they were singing scooby doo songs "Scooby doodby doo, when are you..... sitting on the loo now :hihi::hihi:"......... which is a pleasure.......... KIDS ARE GREAT, but not a flipping adult, and not an environmentalist

No i dont want anyone sharing my car. I like my own space / i dont want anyone talking to me first thing in a morning on route to work. The best thing i now have a 2 seater. The passenger seat is for my shopping