The Global Warming Megathread

Do you believe human inflicted climate change is real?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe human inflicted climate change is real?

• Absolutely, unequivocally.
    • Maybe, i need more evidence
    • Not at all, it's all made up!
    • Whats global warming?

I could say that you're using pretty poor justifications for your actions (just as most motorists do). I don't see it as making life inconvenient. In fact I look forward to my journey home, when I can settle down with a book for half and hour while someone else drives me home. It's all about priorities. Some of us can see past our own 'comfort' and 'convenience'.

Why should I have to justify my actions? But if i must, then

I enjoy driving. I am prepared to pay the taxes and charges involved with driving because I like it.

Thats my justification.

Because some would argue that there is a moral obligation on us all to do our best to ease global warming.

You are assuming that your view on global warming is fact. Many of us do not believe that it is. At the very least the jury is still out on it for me.

You are assuming that your view on global warming is fact. Many of us do not believe that it is. At the very least the jury is still out on it for me.

You and george bush. All you need to do is turn your tv off standby, switch off lights you don't need, stop driving when you don't need to, buy veg that hasn't been flown over here from australia that sort of thing. We all just need to be conscious of saving energy. Its too easy and rather selfish to think, "it won't happen and even if it does it won't affect me in my lifetime".

Because some would argue that there is a moral obligation on us all to do our best to ease global warming.

Some, but not me. Once this problem starts getting taken seriously by world leaders then I may think about changing my habits. But until then, I shall continue using my car as and when I please.

Like I said earlier though I do admire your principles, and im not knocking you in any way for them, I just happen not to agree.

why not? I'm sure if you really had to you could find alternatives.

There's a few things here. The first being "if you really had to", which, as it happens, I don't and the second being that the alternatives have to be suitable, which they currently aren't.

If you know that little about weather you are automatically disqualified from passing an opinion. Go learn some basic, elementary details on the subject first, please?

Give the guy a break you pedant. When you have learnt the difference between a question and an order you too may pass an opinion.

I don't think that the weather yesterday was due to global warming, as lots of people have said, just normal occasional winter weather. But I do think we will start to see weather like this a lot more frequently.

If I had a car(!) I would have driven it to work yesterday... but when the weather gets better I wouldn't be driving, I'd be walking or getting the bus.

I'd love to leave my car at home, but as the council won't be letting the people in my house each have a parking permit, I'll have to take my car on the road.

P.S. We are currently in an interstadial - period between ice-ages - hence it is expected for the mean temperature to rise.

Global warming is a natural phenomenon - get used to it

That's the thing, everyone *will* have to get used to it.

If anyone thinks that anything serious will ever get agreed to do anything about it by all countries, they are fooling themselves.

And even if there was something substantial agreed, it wouldn't make any difference, it's going to happen anyway.

It's not all doom and gloom though, we will adapt like we always have, its just that there might not be so many of us in 100 years.