Sheffield Reliant Owners Club

I gritted the few teeth I have left and read this thread. First, I would like to say how much I admire the sheer guts of the people who admit to owning or driving one of these 'bobbly' vehicles, and then, if they actually break down, why did they call them 'Reliant'?

I'm just kidding folks, remember that television documentry where that kid gave the police the run around for God knows how long, driving a 'Reliant'? Should have given him a brand new 'Reliant' to wear around his neck.

The chap that created the company worked at Raleigh think he was one of managers.Basicly he made up a machine,s but some parts still had R on them for Raleigh.So he was looking for a company name with R and so decided on Reliant as far as im aware.Dont think there was any other reason for it.I remember watching that program too were police gave chace after that Robin :hihi:

Anyone else still own a Reliant

The chap that created the company worked at Raleigh think he was one of managers.Basicly he made up a machine,s but some parts still had R on them for Raleigh.So he was looking for a company name with R and so decided on Reliant as far as im aware.Dont think there was any other reason for it.I remember watching that program too were police gave chace after that Robin :hihi:

Anyone else still own a Reliant

No. Lada's have four wheels.

No. Lada's have four wheels.
Thought they had 7

I've been asked to find out if anyone on here remembers or was ever a member of, the Reliant owners club! They used to meet at Pond st and later at a car park on Saville st ( bottom of Spital Hill ), every Sunday morning for days out. They would travel in convoy to their destination! There was also the Annual Christmas party at St Aidens Vestry Hall.

the Reliant Owners Club is still alive but many branches of the club have ceased to exist. The Sheffield branch became the South Yorkshire branch many years ago. I remember when I was 16 and a member of the VMCC we were happily enjoying a picnic in Sherwood Forest when 47 Reliant Regals on a Sheffield Branch Sunday run stopped and joined us for a while, to see so many Regals was a treat :-)

the Reliant Owners Club is still alive but many branches of the club have ceased to exist. The Sheffield branch became the South Yorkshire branch many years ago. I remember when I was 16 and a member of the VMCC we were happily enjoying a picnic in Sherwood Forest when 47 Reliant Regals on a Sheffield Branch Sunday run stopped and joined us for a while, to see so many Regals was a treat :-)

When I came to Sheffield a bit more than a decade ago I had a white Scimitar. I didn't really get on with it as it had no power stearing and drove like a truck.

One day I found a card from the Reliant Owners Club under a wiper blade, inviting me to a meeting at a pub somewhere round Chesterfield area. So I popped along to be confronted by a car park full of Robins, Regals and a Kitten. Mine was the only Scimitar. I never went back so I've no idea what happened to them all.

I got rid of the Scimitar because it had the performance of a Transit van and returned around 19mpg.

having never driven a Scimitar I wouldn't know what they are like to drive :-)

Also having their own club meant, in the main, unless they owned Reliant 3 wheeler, Fox or Kitten they didn't think of joining the ROC so chances of seeing another at a ROC club night is slim.

having never driven a Scimitar I wouldn't know what they are like to drive :-)

Also having their own club meant, in the main, unless they owned Reliant 3 wheeler, Fox or Kitten they didn't think of joining the ROC so chances of seeing another at a ROC club night is slim.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204313222549302&set=a.1014164812993.2120.1791245101&type=3&theater

The steering was impossible at parking speed due to no power steering, but the body was very strong and heavy. I had a few parking moments but the other cars just bounced off. 4 speed manual with overdrive on 3rd and 4th.

Edited by foxy lady

hi we love to see the 3 wheel vehicles at our festival and for the first time the public were able to see these wonderfull vehicles,so show your reliant ect off at the lowedges festival sun aug 14th please pre-book though,we only had a few in 2015,but we hope to increase these numbers in 2016.

Every time a drive through Eckinkton you can almost guarantee to see a reliant or two! Not sure why but I've been noticing this for years! Someone once told me that when his brother died in Eckington that they had several people knocking on his door asking 1st refusal on his reliant and he was not even been buried

Edited by allwednesday