Should we object to the word Brit?

Just reading another thread and the word/name **** was mentioned as being an offensive word. **** is short for Pakistani, so if someone's from Pakistan and gets called a ****, why would they object?

Isn't it the same as being British and being called a Brit? Are you British? Should you be offended being called a Brit?

I view **** as an offensive word because it is associated in my mind with racists, BNP, skinheads...that type of people. Words come with baggage.

'Brit', well, that makes me think an american is talking! I wouldn't say it, but I don't mind it (doesn't have the same connotations of being beaten to death or flaming dog dirt through the letterbox)

Just reading another thread and the word/name **** was mentioned as being an offensive word. **** is short for Pakistani, so if I'm from Pakistan and get called a ****, why would I object?

Isn't it the same as being British and being called a Brit? Are you British? Should you be offended being called a Brit?

Not really, it is a shortened version of the word Briton which is correct.

Just reading another thread and the word/name **** was mentioned as being an offensive word. **** is short for Pakistani, so if I'm from Pakistan and get called a ****, why would I object?

As the late great George Carlin said, the word in and of itself is not offensive, it's the way in which it's used.

Like ******. The word itself is not offensive, but it's generally used in an offensive way by racists etc. So the word has now come to be offensive.

Take ****, it's used by certain people to describe any body who is of that colour, often used after the word f*cking...!

I have no objection to being called Brit as much as you don't mind being called ****, as it is just an abbreviation. However, if you were to call someone from India a **** then they would have a problem with it.

I view **** as an offensive word because it is associated in my mind with racists, BNP, skinheads...that type of people. Words come with baggage.

'Brit', well, that makes me think an american is talking! I wouldn't say it, but I don't mind it (doesn't have the same connotations of being beaten to death or flaming dog dirt through the letterbox)

brit was also a favourite word of he IRA,

I personally don't mind being called a brit but do know of someone who has been prosecuted for calling someone a ****, is that fair ?.

I don't find it offensive, but i don't like it.

I prefer to be called English, not British.

if someone called me a "effing brit".. i'd probably laugh rather than be offended. the word **** though has been used by racists to try and demean people of pakistani origin, as well as, like powerage said, pretty much anyone with dark skin who is not of african/caribbean descent. i'm not aware of the history of the word ****, but if it's a word that was in use before racists started using it, then it's been hijacked and no longer has the same meaning. if it however was a word coined by racists, then it never had an innocent meaning in the first place

Archived