Meadowhall retail world - Parking fines

thanks 4 support

Can't quite make out if there's sarcasm there, but if you didn't know about the £20 deduction you do now. At the end of the day (or maybe the beginning) you/we should have seen the signs. If you argue that case of the signs not being prominent enough you can, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Shouldn't assume it's okay to park anywhere, all the shopping places are out to chisel as much money out of the public as they can, if they can't they'll get a company to tow you away and take a % of that fee.

Law courts don't accept the 'bliss in ignorance' plea anymore you know.

Can't quite make out if there's sarcasm there, but if you didn't know about the £20 deduction you do now. At the end of the day (or maybe the beginning) you/we should have seen the signs. If you argue that case of the signs not being prominent enough you can, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Shouldn't assume it's okay to park anywhere, all the shopping places are out to chisel as much money out of the public as they can, if they can't they'll get a company to tow you away and take a % of that fee.

Law courts don't accept the 'bliss in ignorance' plea anymore you know.

no sacasam intended thanks 4 suport ment

Hey if you phone them up, maybe think something nice and convincing, you could get out of it. When I spoke to them, the phone was anwered by quite a nice and sincere sounding lady, southerner but not too much of an issue with that. Maybe because I was phoning due to a general question, payment options etc, she was cool but....you know... you could say you were shopping all that time at the retail park (shopping imho does not specifically represent BUYING) so you thought it was okay. Maybe you have a reciept or something for the time you spent there?

PM'd you.

Whatever you do, don't pay the fine. I got caught at a Sheffield fast food joint in January by an automated camera for overstaying the free car parking allowance time by 5 minutes. The restaurant was busy and it took over 20 minutes to get served. They wanted £150 reduced to £75 if paid within 28 days.

What you have is an unenforcable invoice for an alleged breach of contract. They have written to you as the registered keeper of the vehicle, however, the alleged breached contract is with the driver. I suggest you send them a short letter saying you acknowledge that you're the registered keeper and that they will have to contact the driver. It's for them to prove who the driver was that day. You can also ask them to state the statute or case law that makes their 'invoice' enforcable. Most private parking companies use all sorts of threats and bluster to make people believe that they must cough up. You may notice that they use terminology such as 'PCN', which are used in reference to the decriminalised parking enforcement and the Road Traffic Act.

Excel Parking, one of the more notorious private parking companies, lost an important County Court case a few months ago in Mansfield after the judge ruled that an extortionate parking charge amounted to a penalty charge, which is illegal under contract law.

I suggest you google the Consumer Action Group. There is plenty of info on their site on how to deal with these pests.

By the way, after a few threatograms, the parking company I was involved with have still not taken me to count. It's been 6 months now. So much for their threats.

theres another thread about this on here somewhere. The general consensus (sp?) is that they can't make you pay! I'm sure people have just ignored the parking 'fine' and got away with it!

Yer well very good points, excellent in fact, my problem was though I couldn't let this mishap get found out, or it would've been a lot more than £75 I would've lost, believe me lol.