Meadowhall retail world - Parking fines

Whatever you do, don't pay the fine. I got caught at a Sheffield fast food joint in January by an automated camera for overstaying the free car parking allowance time by 5 minutes. The restaurant was busy and it took over 20 minutes to get served. They wanted £150 reduced to £75 if paid within 28 days.

What you have is an unenforcable invoice for an alleged breach of contract. They have written to you as the registered keeper of the vehicle, however, the alleged breached contract is with the driver. I suggest you send them a short letter saying you acknowledge that you're the registered keeper and that they will have to contact the driver. It's for them to prove who the driver was that day. You can also ask them to state the statute or case law that makes their 'invoice' enforcable. Most private parking companies use all sorts of threats and bluster to make people believe that they must cough up. You may notice that they use terminology such as 'PCN', which are used in reference to the decriminalised parking enforcement and the Road Traffic Act.

Excel Parking, one of the more notorious private parking companies, lost an important County Court case a few months ago in Mansfield after the judge ruled that an extortionate parking charge amounted to a penalty charge, which is illegal under contract law.

Very informative, thanks.

Head of Excel Parkings on BBc News and int newspaper; don't like 'em... Parking company for some supermarket's car park? lazy gits... There're chaps at both Mothercare/Staples and Wilkes car parks in town, they walk around, write down reg plates...

Drove in here last night for parking as centertainment was rammed, but remembered this thread, so got the heck out of there, luckily managed to get a spot after a few laps....

can they do you for parking there and going to cineworld??

Do Not Go To Retail World At Meadowhall

If You Visit Retail World Please Dont Park For Over 180 Min I Parked For 199 Min And Got A £95 Fine For Been 19 Min Over The Free Parking Limit I Will Never Go To Retail World Agian

Do Not Go To Retail World At Meadowhall

I have not had a fine but I am not going to shop there again because of this and have told both Currys and PC World this.

Their reaction was that I am not the first person to say this and wont be the last.

I dont want to going shopping forever keeping my eye on my watch spoils the day.

For information about Private Parking Companies and their tactics, and definitely before paying any of their "fines" (which are not fines at all but are invoices based on an alleged breach of contract) please check http://www.pepipoo.com

PPCs also operate at Wickes (the Moor), Waitrose, Decathlon and other places in Sheffield

Um, there's a Tram stop at the back of it.

Why not leave the car at home and go on the Tram?

For some of us, the answer is twofold: that tramlines do not extend into the nicer parts of town, and that using trams might result in being sat next to plebs, which would be most unpleasant.

Drove in here last night for parking as centertainment was rammed, but remembered this thread, so got the heck out of there, luckily managed to get a spot after a few laps....

can they do you for parking there and going to cineworld??

I would imagine that's one of the reasons it's been introduced. No, you're not supposed to. My aunt used to park in the retail park when the park and ride was full. At the time it was a recognised practice and those doing it were told that as long as they didn't park near the shops, they were ok to do so. Obviously too many people have taken advantage of this or too many are encroaching from the ludicrously small and ineffective car park round by Cineworld.

Tbh as it's not like Parkgate in terms of size or outlets, I can't imagine actually being there for 3 hours in any case.

For some of us, the answer is twofold: that tramlines do not extend into the nicer parts of town, and that using trams might result in being sat next to plebs, which would be most unpleasant.

:loopy:

So, according to you, areas such as Hillsborough are full of "Plebs"?!

Snobbery is indeed alive and well it would seem! :loopy: :loopy: :rant:

You cant expect a true blue to sit next to us cloth capped northerners.

Has anyone, or does anyone know of someone who has suffered negatively because they refused to pay up to this scam? (Taken to court etc?) I ask because I am now 5 months down the line and they are threatening to mess up my credit rating and I'm about to move house. I do not want to pay because everything about it feels, in my gut, wrong.

i am now been chased by a dedt collection company which is also not lawful as the parking company have not given notice of this YOU HAVE RIGHTS it is a good idea also if the photo of the driver is not clear to tell the company it was not you driving and they should chase the driver (you do not have to give any further details as they dont have powers like the police) whatever you do DONT PAY there is help out there if you just search for it

I live in Hillsborough and travel on the tram every day. In my experience (unfortunately) most of the plebs do seem to get on and off there. I'm not a snob, I'd just like to be able to use public transport without the aforementioned "plebs" inflicting their music on me.

Well I know some people do abuse free parking areas, ie: park and ride,free to go to work etc,but I must say my husband and I have just completely redecorated our living room,it takes hours to sort out from paint to furniture to flooring to completion.We were out for hours on end not to mention day after day (as we all know hubby and wife dont always agree),and many of the time if places were near we would try to be greener,healthy and leave car and walk from retail to meadowhall, then we would be hungry and thirsty so again more time spent in the car park area,and thank goodness we decided against going on the tram, we would have been barred for having so many heavy bulky items,no way could we have done that, and then as time goes on you get hungry and thirsty so you have somthing to eat and drink thus taking more time up, so no its wrong to fine and at that much for parking.