Iran girl sentenced to 100 lashes for sex

Originally posted by foo_fighter

OK barbaric yes, but read the report, she didn’t get the whole 100 lashes for having sex, it was more to do with the false allegations, which could have led to others getting a death sentence.

foo fighter - listen to yourself ... have you any idea what a HUNDRED lashes is like, what it would do to your body? It's not a gentle tickling with a bit of string, you know. If you pass out, or the damage is too great, they just wait until you recover and bring you back again to face the rest of the number. This is a young girl we're talking about here.

The allegations were judged to be false, ok ... but it says in the report that the one she knew betrayed her trust by persuading her to meet him and then having his friend there as well ... i think we can all guess the scenario after that ... I don't care if everyone else in the world thinks justice has been done ... i will never agree that it's right.

Originally posted by Kristian

He's right. I am a man. Most definately.

Is the avatar confusing? It's Bree from Desperate Housewives! I thought you would know abaout her considering your location! The show is on ABC on Sunday nights!

K x

i always thought it was a pic of the woman off brookside who had a big bingo win and went off the rails

at least i can sleep better now that mystery's been solved:)

Originally posted by t020

No, but if they truly adhered to the teachings of their religion they would find this kind of punishment as being just and acceptable. Since they live over here they have inherited some western values too, and probably find it barbaric and abhorrent.

So are you saying that only Muslims that live in Britain and have inherited some of our values would find this womans treatment unacceptable?

Sorry, but that is complete b*11*x.

The majority of Middle Eastern countries do not have Sharia law - Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon to name a few.

There are plenty of muslims in the world (the majority) that don't need to inherit western values to know how to live in a civilized way.

What you have said is totally arrogant.

Originally posted by rubydazzler

foo fighter - listen to yourself ... have you any idea what a HUNDRED lashes is like, what it would do to your body? It's not a gentle tickling with a bit of string, you know. If you pass out, or the damage is too great, they just wait until you recover and bring you back again to face the rest of the number. This is a young girl we're talking about here.

The allegations were judged to be false, ok ... but it says in the report that the one she knew betrayed her trust by persuading her to meet him and then having his friend there as well ... i think we can all guess the scenario after that ... I don't care if everyone else in the world thinks justice has been done ... i will never agree that it's right.

Ruby, did you notice where I said I thought the punishment was barbaric, good, next point...

...the issue I was making is that this isn't some inocent, she tried (falsely) to get two people the death sentence (or put bluntly, killed) to avoid 30 to 40 lashes herself (and no I'm no expert on this level of punishment either, are you?).

To be clear, I do not agree with her punishment, but would people stop making out she got this sentence just for having sex...

...please.

Originally posted by sham71

So are you saying that only Muslims that live in Britain and have inherited some of our values would find this womans treatment unacceptable?

Sorry, but that is complete b*11*x.

The majority of Middle Eastern countries do not have Sharia law - Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon to name a few.

There are plenty of muslims in the world (the majority) that don't need to inherit western values to know how to live in a civilized way.

What you have said is totally arrogant.

I never said that ALL middle-eastern countries subscribe to Sharia law. The point about muslims in THIS country was in response to Greenback's comments - please follow the entire thread through in future before making damning assumptions.

Originally posted by t020

Yet another example of Islam the religion of peace then.

Well, this looks like a pretty damning generalisation.

Why would you put this unless you had an inbuilt superiority complex?

You come across as just looking for an excuse to put something inflammatory.

Ruby, did you notice where I said I thought the punishment was barbaric, good, next point...

...the issue I was making is that this isn't some inocent, she tried (falsely) to get two people the death sentence (or put bluntly, killed) to avoid 30 to 40 lashes herself (and no I'm no expert on this level of punishment either, are you?).

To be clear, I do not agree with her punishment, but would people stop making out she got this sentence just for having sex......please.

i haven't been lashed myself, no ... i once had the cane at school, six strokes, at the full strength of a big fat male teacher's arm ... i was badly bruised and cut, and ill for a couple of days after that ... and no it didn't do me any good at all before anyone asks :) but i have seen video footage and heard first hand accounts about lashings ... it's not something i'd want to ever experience.

I'm not going to discuss this any further, I've not read anything that has changed my view so I'll continue to think what I think about the trial and sentencing - based on my experience and knowledge of what sometimes happens even in this country .. I suppose as someone else said earlier in the thread .. what was she thinking to even complain ...

To be clear, I do not agree with her punishment, but would people stop making out she got this sentence just for having sex...

I'm not sure they were actually "false" allegations, I believe the judge made out as if they were to protect the boys from death penalty....."The girl was sentenced to 100 lashes because her accusations of rape and kidnap could have landed her partners a death penalty, the Tehran judge said." no where has it been said "her false accusations", it's just that the judge had to choose between giving her 100 lashes or sentencing the kids with death penalty.....I think.